I'm back and have questions on hyperglycemia.

chaly
on 2/1/15 7:56 am
RNY on 11/05/13

I am happy to report, although I haven't been on this forum for quite sometime I am not coming back because I have gained my weight back.  I had my rny in November of 2013 and lost a little over 180 pounds and so far I am keeping my weight steady between 140-145.  I am so happy with what I with surgery have accomplished.

So, let's get to the reason of this post.  Over the past month or so I have noticed at times I get very jittery like I have had to much caffine and feel like I need to eat now.  I eat and feel fine.  I figured it was low blood sugar and I would talk to my surgeon at the next appointment.  At the time this started happening I instituted making sure I ate a little something before bed to make sure I had a little something around the clock.  Usually I eat a couple of crackers and peanut butter or cheese.  Well, Saturday morning at 3am I woke up to stomach pain (I believe was my IBS, and so does my pcp.), and I got up to go to the bathroom.  I passed out after rounding the bed.  My hubby said I was out for 2-3 minutes.  When I came to I drank a glass of milk and ate a Greek yogurt a half an hour later.  I thought it was related to blood sugar.  When my pcp urgent care opened at 9am that morning I was there.  They took my blood sugar and it was 83, still within normal range.  They tested my heart, pancreas, thyroid ect and all came back good.  I was sent home with a glucometer and told to eat more small meals as they think I have hyperglycemia.  I was also told to call the surgeon tomorrow to ask how to keep my sugar up through the night as PB and crackers or cheese and crackers obviously isn't working.  So my question is this.  I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this.  Do any of the vets have suggestions on eating around the clock, the right way, and not gaining weight?  Also what do you eat before bed to prevent your lows through out the night?

Thanks in advance.

poet_kelly
on 2/1/15 8:30 am - OH

I eat something with some protein and carbs before bed.  A protein bar, Greek yogurt, protein shake, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chaly
on 2/1/15 8:41 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Thanks Kelly, I'll switch it up to a protein bar or Greek yogurt and see what happens.  

hollykim
on 2/1/15 8:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, chaly wrote:

I am happy to report, although I haven't been on this forum for quite sometime I am not coming back because I have gained my weight back.  I had my rny in November of 2013 and lost a little over 180 pounds and so far I am keeping my weight steady between 140-145.  I am so happy with what I with surgery have accomplished.

So, let's get to the reason of this post.  Over the past month or so I have noticed at times I get very jittery like I have had to much caffine and feel like I need to eat now.  I eat and feel fine.  I figured it was low blood sugar and I would talk to my surgeon at the next appointment.  At the time this started happening I instituted making sure I ate a little something before bed to make sure I had a little something around the clock.  Usually I eat a couple of crackers and peanut butter or cheese.  Well, Saturday morning at 3am I woke up to stomach pain (I believe was my IBS, and so does my pcp.), and I got up to go to the bathroom.  I passed out after rounding the bed.  My hubby said I was out for 2-3 minutes.  When I came to I drank a glass of milk and ate a Greek yogurt a half an hour later.  I thought it was related to blood sugar.  When my pcp urgent care opened at 9am that morning I was there.  They took my blood sugar and it was 83, still within normal range.  They tested my heart, pancreas, thyroid ect and all came back good.  I was sent home with a glucometer and told to eat more small meals as they think I have hyperglycemia.  I was also told to call the surgeon tomorrow to ask how to keep my sugar up through the night as PB and crackers or cheese and crackers obviously isn't working.  So my question is this.  I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this.  Do any of the vets have suggestions on eating around the clock, the right way, and not gaining weight?  Also what do you eat before bed to prevent your lows through out the night?

Thanks in advance.

hyperglycemia is high blood sugar. What you are describing is hypoglycemia,low blood sugar. 

Google reactive hypoglycemia. Many post rnyers have this.

chaly
on 2/1/15 8:39 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Opps that's what I meant.  Thank you for correcting me on that.

White Dove
on 2/1/15 11:00 am, edited 2/1/15 11:00 am - Warren, OH

I keep glucose tablets in the nightstand and grab a few if I wake up with low blood sugar.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sherrie P.
on 2/1/15 12:06 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

You ate and drank after you passed out... so that would have brought your blood sugar back up, so I am not surprised it was 83 at 9am.

I also  have reactive hypoglycemia.

I eat every 3 hours. Always includes protein.  Protein is the key to keeping mine balanced.  

It isn't fun.  Good luck.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

MickeyDee
on 2/1/15 4:03 pm

Yeah, that sure sounds like RH;  I would definitely eat a high-protein snack such as greek yoghurt before bedtime.  

I do still sometimes get "The Trembles" even after 10 years, but the protein hint does work.

You really shouldn't have to eat every 3-4 hours, just keep an eye on your internal feelings and be aware of yourself.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/1/15 7:19 pm

I think you you meant Hypoglycemia - low blood sugar (not hyperglycemia- high blood sugar ).

Out may be that together with low blood pressure. 

I deal with that. I learned to eat salty snack before i go to bed. Never crackers - but  nuts, NSA nut butters Work best for me. 

I noticed over the year that my salt intake was low, so now i make sure my evening meal has enough salt to keep my BP up. 

Google ortostatic hypotension. That combined with low BS - made me passed out a few times. 

Also talk to the doc to check your iron and ferritin.. Low ferritin , or anemia may also make that worse. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/2/15 12:40 am - OH

I have regular hypoglycemia, rather than reactive hypoglycemia, so I eat 6-7 times per day and I always have something to eat (or drink) right before bed so I don't wake up shaky. (Most often it is some cheese, but sometimes it is just a glass of milk.)

I have found that the cheese without any crackers works just as well (and avoids the carbs), and that I get the best results from  something with a combination of protein, some good carbs, and a little bit of fat... so the cheese and milk both fit the bill perfectly. 

As long as you are eating smaller meals throughout the day (rather than eating a "normal" RNY-sized lunch and then eating something again at 2-3 PM), you won't gain weight.  You just have to space things out.  (I often finish my lunch for my afternoon snack, for example.)

My total caloric intake per day is about 1400, so I try to keep my mid-morning, mid-afternoon, late night snacks to about 150 calories.  It isn't difficult (e.g., the Greek yogurt I almost always have for my mid-morning snack is only 80 calories, so even if I add a small amount of protein cereal for crunch, it is about 150; the RF jalapeño cheese stick or half serving of almonds (about a dozen) are both also about 80 calories --  it still allows me a reasonable number of calories for the main meals (especially since I usually have protein hot chocolate for breakfast).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 244 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics