Hernia Surgery Question

LittleMiss2013
on 2/28/15 2:14 am, edited 2/28/15 2:16 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I posted in my local forum a few days ago, but thought I would post here too to get as much info as possible.

HISTORY/STORY

I had Hernia repair surgery on Monday night. What kind of hernia...I don't know, lol. I had mentioned to my Dr I was having a pain in the Liver area and random sharp gas type pains. He said it was probably my intestines kinking and they would go in and have a "look". I thought he meant via Endoscopy but then my surgery date was bumped up and during PATTS I saw on the paper "Hernia Repair". I said "I don't have a hernia that I know of". I called the office and the secretary said "ya it's ok don't worry about it". So for some reason I said "oh, ok" Long story longer...It was full blown laproscopic surgery. I woke up in BLINDING pain, hyperventilating with 4 holes in me....
one in my belly button....which in my past surgeries no one ever went in via my belly button so I was weirded out. I never saw or spoke to the surgeon before surgery, or after. I just had no idea what happened. I alled the office the next day and he said "We just went in and closed up all the open spaces where things can poke through" HOW they closed them,  how many there were....I have no idea. I asked if the Pain was normal and he said as long as it doesn't get WORSE it's fine.

SO......QUESTION

Anyone else have "abdominal" hernia repair and how long was the recovery?
It is not the incision bruised pain I am concerned about.....but everytime I eat or drink my intestines surrounding my belly button area all start to writhe in pain....like the worst stomach ache. It passes after awhile but  intensifies next time I eat/drink. I have no idea if this is normal. I USUALLY bounce back from my surgeries pretty good...but this one sorta kicked my butt. Anyway wondering if the intestinal discomfort is normal and how long it will last? Anyone who has been through a similar surgery and can offer me some input
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

crazy4birds
on 2/28/15 5:04 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I had my gallbladder removed through one incision in my belly button.  That went ok but I later developed an incisional hernia right next to my belly button.  The hernia repair was four small incisions but that surgery was the worst for me.  I could not get out of bed for a couple of days and the rest of the week I needed help.  I read in the pamphlet they gave me that most people were back at work in two weeks but I could barely get around the house.  Not sure why this was.  I had WLS three months ago and when I came home I was on no pain killers.  So for me the hernia surgery took the most out of me.  

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Blackbird1987
on 2/28/15 6:09 am

Hello! I am sorry you are in such pain! Definitely keep monitoring your pain and as always, keep communicating with your doctor. That being said, I had this very surgery January 13th. I was having sharp pains that I thought were gas pains at first but they were AWFUL and would last hours... I was finally bent over in pain and went to the doctors. He said they needed to do an exploratory laparoscopy to go in through 3 incisions to take a look around and fix a hernia if there was one. These are very routine surgeries and very safe, I was in and out of the hospital same day. I had pain as well since they are going through muscle tissue etc. For mine, they found a small hernia and closed it, removed some scar tissue and tacked down my intestines since they also felt that they were previously kinked. Research Petersons Hernia... they are not uncommon post WLS. I was in pain for a few days, I had surgery on a Tuesday and was out and about on Saturday and by Monday was almost as good as new. Hang in there! I hope you feel better! 

Make sure you are having bowel movements after a few days (initially you may be constipated because the intestines don't like to be touched and tend to seize up a bit post op) , don't strain though because you can really hurt yourself. Just take it easy and walk around, drink water, and eat a bland diet for a few days until your body is working normally again with BM's etc. I hope this info helps! 

Blackbird1987
on 2/28/15 6:10 am

Eat bland foods for a bit but if you keep feeling this horrible pain after eating or drinking and you ARE NOT having bowel movements, call the doctor immediately, you could have a blockage. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/15 6:17 am

I had hernia repair last week. I had it also in October. They were different hernias. If you feel really bad do not hesitate and call your doctor. 

I will say I am tired. And I am trying to take it easy. I can't lift anything more than five pounds that can make life difficult. But you have to heal. 

I have had major surgeries and I think the hernia was one of the worst ones. I had my tonsils out and that I will say was the worst. 

I hope you feel better. Call your doctor if you are not. They get paid a lot of money so don't feel bad. 

LittleMiss2013
on 2/28/15 6:35 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Thanks everyone for your replies =) Bm's are fine...not the first one, that one almost killed me, lol...but I am taking sennekot nightly. They didn't tell me ANYTHING re:Not to lift things, not to eat certain things. Just to keep all my incisions dry for 48 hours and I can resume my normal diet when ready. So I have been trying to carry on normal life...taking my kids to school, picking them up, grocery shopping etc...but like I said, I am not bouncing back as easily from this one.

He did mention in my pre-op appointment something about possibly needing to "take down my intestines". So maybe they did that, and now my intestines hate me, lol. My surgical sites are fine....it is literally just the feeling of food or liquid moving through that hurts.

Anyway, hopefully it is temporary and I am going to google Peterson hernia now that I know the name and see what I can learn =) Thanks again!

Julie_M
on 2/28/15 11:38 am

I feel you! I had a hernia repair at the same time as my WLS. I am almost 3 weeks post-op and I am still not well. All of my pain is from the hernia. It is awful! Of all the procedures/surgeries I've ever had--whi*****lude childbirth, sinus surgery, gallbladder surgery, full hysterectomy--this has been by far the most painful thing I've dealt with. Btw- my incision was also thru my belly button. I had 18 sutures. 

LittleMiss2013
on 2/28/15 10:48 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Aww I hope you feel better soon

selhard
on 2/28/15 1:02 pm, edited 2/28/15 9:33 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Before WLS, I had umbilical hernia repair in same-day surgery.  Mesh was used.  Pain and intestinal discomfort were minor.  When my DH and I got home, he prepared me a grilled hamburger on a bun, corn-on-the-cob, and pork-n-beans.  Eating made me feel so much better, I was up to reading the take-home packet with after-care instructions.  The very first instruction was to follow a liquid/soft-food diet for 24 hours after arriving home.  Whoopsie.

LittleMiss2013
on 2/28/15 10:47 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Lol I could totally see that happening. Mine said to stick to clear fluid for 24 hours IF I was suffering nausea from the Anesthesia. I wasn't...so I had a coffee...but MAN I regretted it, lol. I swear I was green afterwards  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?