Baby shower today and holy cow the food!

cspotrun
on 2/28/15 7:24 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I went to a baby shower today and made a point to eat right before I left since I didn't really know what would be served.  I'm glad I did, but regardless, they just kept putting food down at our table and in front of me.  I declined as much as I could but then if I got up to mingle, when I returned there would be 3 plates in front of me!  It was comical.  Even dessert had 4 courses....zeppole, fruit, cheesecake, and cake, all of which ended up at my place at the table.  The rest of the people at my table enjoyed taking my food, which was just fine by me.  I was reminded of how much I would've loved all that food pre surgery, and then felt incredibly guilty after overeating.  Sometimes I miss certain foods, but today I actually felt more free from the cycle of eating too much of the wrong foods, and gaining weight.  I much prefer this feeling of relief that I can turn down food, even at a party.  

Karen   

JAMStribe
on 2/28/15 7:43 am

Great job. I agree when everyone else is eating away I feel kind of free.  I don't really miss it. I don't miss how terrible I would feel after eating like that.  I used to stress about going to a party etc but not anymore. I just say no thank you and smile.  I have worked too hard and come too far to even consider it. 

I have a shower to go to next month and the lady is a "gourmet cook"  ... not stressed at all like I was this time last year.  I just wanna see all the cool stuff she gets  :)   

cspotrun
on 2/28/15 9:56 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

That's a fantastic attitude. Happy you are free too!

Karen   

cspotrun
on 3/1/15 2:33 am
RNY on 07/01/14

That's a fantastic attitude. Happy you are free too!

Karen   

NYMom222
on 2/28/15 1:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I totally understand. I went to a bridal shower today and I didn't fair as well... It was out of state- 3 hours each way. So no eating right before I got there... Nice Italian place...and then food comes out slowly so...there was plenty of room in my pouch... I ate way too many carbs. Most I have eaten since my surgery.  I can so see how you can eat around your surgery as they say.  Even though it was late I did come home and exercise. Great job on turning down the food... I am still trying to learn the balance of enjoying a 'special occasion' without overdoing it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cspotrun
on 2/28/15 9:41 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Yes I too have seen how it's easy to eat around the surgery. At gatherings where food is out I can graze and never get full. It worries me so I just try to stay vigilant. I'm sure you're back on track today. I'm headed to NYC today and a little worried about that but I'm trying to plan out what to bring and eat so it will be manageable. Good luck to you and that was smart to exercise after to keep your head in the game!

Karen   

NYMom222
on 3/1/15 9:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

If I really thought about it I should have shoved a ready-to-drink Premier Protein in my bag. Instead I put a bottle of water to drink that I never touched. Drank plenty of water at the party. I could have had that right when the party was starting and maybe I would have made it to the chicken and veggies without detouring on carbs. :) This is a learning experience, right?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cspotrun
on 3/1/15 9:50 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Absolutely! Live and learn. That's a good idea about the protein shake. I did ok today in New York. I didn't meet my protein goal but at least I didn't over eat. 

Karen   

SkinnyScientist
on 2/28/15 6:00 pm, edited 2/28/15 6:01 pm

-guilty after overeating

Yep.  And you know what, you MAY STILL feel guilty post-op IF you had overate or ate the wrong things.

I cant believe it. But now that I am normal sized/weight, I get THIN SHAMED!  NO **** I have had TWO recovering aneroxics reveal themselves to me at work. They have watched my food portions/"ritualization" over the past year and decided I became aneroxic.  I then have to reveal my open secret to them about WLS. It is an OPEN secret because I have told those that are supportive to it or those that can benefit from the surgery about it.

-I have colleagues watch me at lunch meetings, come up to me and say "SkinnyScientist, you DO eat!"  

Me: "Um. Huh?!?!?"

At a gym event, I got a small t-shirt.  It was too big so I asked if they had any extra smalls. This brought ridicule from the fitness board (gym goer's who server as an executive committee. They are not the professional staff). But **** I thought they would be glad that I had good results from using our gym.  My bad.

And now that I am thin, that is when the food pushers have really started. I guess when I was MO, they thought I was a participant. 

I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU DIDNT FALL FOR IT (i.e. food pushing).

I am also glad you shared with your table.

Anyway, I am glad we both have realized the amounts of food (and kinds of food) required to LOSE and/or maintain weight loss.  It is dramatically less that what the world pushes.  Seriously, here in America it is almost like a feast every day for every meal.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

cspotrun
on 2/28/15 9:54 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Seriously with those examples it's like the world has gone mad!! 

Youre right about American portion sizes. GeeZ nobody needs that much food. And somehow the over feeding and excess has become a symbol of celebration. I hope I can continue to just look at it from afar and chuckle at the ridiculousness of it all rather than be tempted by it. But realistically I'm sure it will tempt me at some point. 

You and your extra small t-shirt are rock stars!

I wish I could've been a fly on the wall when the women with anorexia confronted you.  awkward!!!

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views