Problems from doctors?

tracik3
on 3/2/15 12:58 am

So, I change my mind about 20 times a day about getting the surgery or not. UGH

Anyway are some of the problems I am reading about caused by the doctor during surgery like being kinked, blind loop syndrome (not sure if this is the same thing or not)? Or is it something that just happens?

I have never had surgery and am so freaked out about having problems!

poet_kelly
on 3/2/15 2:29 am - OH

Sometimes things like that happen.  There are complications that can occur.  I suggest asking your surgeon what his rate of complications are and what the most common complications he sees are.  How many of his patients develop leaks?  How man get bowel obstructions?  And so on.  I think you'll feel better when hear that while those things can happen, they are very rare.  For instance, less than 1% should develop leaks.  And then ask him how many of his patients have died as a result of complications.  Ask him how he handles complications.  If you develop a leak, how will he catch that and how will he treat it?  You'll feel better if you get real facts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tracik3
on 3/2/15 6:34 am

I did ask him some of these question. He said no deaths, he has done 2500 of these surgeries.  He does a leak test at the end of surgery.  I wish I had asked him more! But, he did tell he has had very few complications.

NYMom222
on 3/2/15 11:15 am
RNY on 07/23/14

They don't have a crystal ball to know who will have complications and who won't. It doesn't always happen immediately either. I do know people from my support group who needed a surgery because of the kinked intestine down the road. It was a blip on the screen and didn't change at all how happy they were about having the surgery. That complication doesn't happen during surgery but as you lose the weight somehow it moves and twists. The chances of it happening are still really small. Being unsure or scared is natural. Are you also freaking out about the medical problems that will absolutely happen if you don't lose weight?  :) Take a deep breath.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views