18 months out, about to give birth with extremely low iron/severe anemia

Maggie May
on 3/2/15 5:52 am
RNY on 08/21/13

I'm 18 months out from my RNY. I did extremely well after surgery and lost 100 lbs. I am now 9 months pregnant and extremely anemic. We've watched my vitamin levels really closely and iron has been on the low end but this time, it's low iron, low ferratin, low hemoglobin, low hematocrit, low red blood count, and low platelets. My hemoglobin is around an 8. Has anyone dealt with this in pregnancy? My ob/gyn is unsure how to approach this, I'm 9 months along, 1 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and baby weighs over 7lbs at 35weeks and we expect I'll go into labor any minute. My water has broken with 3 previous pregnancies at 37 weeks. I have a call in to my surgeon but he's horrible at responding. I'm wondering if blood transfusion/iron infusion is the way to go. I had a horrible hemorrhage during my last c-section so these numbers are a great concern with me this close to labor. I feel so fatigued, out of breath due to poor oxygen because of the low red blood cells, I'm really pale and craving ice and having muscle cramps from the lack of oxygen as well. :(

Any insight?  

Maggie May 

rocky513
on 3/2/15 6:06 am - WI

I would get a referral to a hematologist ASAP.   Your Ob/Gyn can give you a referral.  You don't have to wait for your surgeon. You will never be able to get your numbers up without an iron infusion.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 3/2/15 6:39 am - OH

I'd ask your OB about an iron infusion.  It is concerning that he doesn't know what to do for a patient with severe anemia.  Can you ask him to consult another Ob or a hematologist?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Maggie May
on 3/2/15 6:56 am
RNY on 08/21/13

She is a natural birth doctor. It is not unusual or concerning that she doesn't have experience with this.  I made an appointment with a hemotologist but I am asking for advice from those with particular experience with this. 

Maggie May 

Maggie May
on 3/2/15 7:00 am
RNY on 08/21/13

Thanks Rocky, much to my surprise my surgeons office saw my message and the alarming numbers and called me right back and got me in with a hemotologist tomorrow morning. My OB is great and would do anything I ask of her but she's honest about not having experience with gastric bypass patients. The health system she is with doesn't offer weight loss surgery at all and most of the deliveries done at this practice are by the midwives and they boast a low c-section rate of 14% which is low for a birthing hospital. I appreciate the response.  

Maggie May 

charminglearner
on 3/2/15 1:12 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy Maggie.  Before Ihad my hysterectomy my iron count was very low.  I remember well that shaky, out of breath, crampy feeling where you're using sheer willpower to go forward.  Glad to read you're being seen tomorrow.  Things are sure to improve.  

Thinking of you.  Looks like you and your medical team are keeping on top of it.  Please keep us posted.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 367 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views