Meeting with the surgeon tomorrow. What questions do I want to ask?

pdxmommyof4
on 3/4/15 3:14 am

Okay friends,

I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow and I want to know what questions I should ask him.  I feel like once I get in there I will forget everything I want to know.  What are some questions would you ask your surgeon?  I know he is going to ask me, "Why do you think Bariatric Surgery will work for you?"  To be honest, I don't know what to tell him.  Do I tell him I am excited to feel full because I can eat an elephant then wonder what's for dessert?  Do I tell him I have spent thousands of dollars on diets, and countless nights crying wondering what's wrong with me that I can't lose it with diet and exercise?  How far and emotional do I get?

Thanks all!!!

Kathy S.
on 3/4/15 3:19 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi pdxmommyof4,

Congratulations on the beginning of the rest of your healthy life!  We have a great list of questions to ask your surgeon, feel free to print it. 

Questions to ask your surgeon

I also kept a pad and pen handy and when a question would come to mind I would write it down.

Keep us posted on how it goes.....

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Maria27
on 3/4/15 3:38 am, edited 3/4/15 3:39 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I did not have to say much about why I wanted wls to the surgeon. Just make sure you understand that wls is a tool which requires lifestyle change. The therapist asked me about my previous weight loss attempts and why I though I gained the weight to begin with. My program requires that you meet with the nutritionist, the surgeon, and the therapist. Then, they get together to discuss whether surgery is right for you. Unless you are not meeting with the therapist until after you are approved, you can probably hold the emotional stuff for him or her. But if the surgeon starts asking you questions about it, then you should certainty answer his questions. It really depends on how your program is structured.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

pdxmommyof4
on 3/4/15 5:46 am

Thank you for your response.  I downloaded the questions and am ready for with those tomorrow.  In my program meeting with the surgeon is the last step.  I have taken classes, visited the nutritionist, social worker, and tomorrow I will get my surgery date.  

Cathy W.
on 3/4/15 11:46 pm

Glad that you checked out the OH question list.  There are questions on there that I wouldn't have thought to ask.

Let us know your surgery date.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

pdxmommyof4
on 3/5/15 5:02 am

Surgery date is 4/10/15 with a check in at 5:30 am.  I am so excited and that list was wonderful!  I think the surgeon was impressed I came to question his ability not just have him question if I was ready.  Thank you so much!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 89 views
Recent Topics