New here. Getting a revision to RNY

AmyDee123
on 3/29/15 11:08 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I had the band placed years ago, and after a large weight loss, panni removal, then a child I have gained a lot of my weight back.  Plus I have pain every time I begin eating or drinking.  My doctor also has me as full as the band will go yet I can eat unlimited amounts, so something is not right.  I want this thing out of me and I want a WLS that works.  So my husband and I decided we are going to have me do a revision to RNY and I couldn't be more excited!

I have BCBS of Texas, and they have already prescreened me for the surgery.  I am looking to get it done with Dr. Murr at Tampa General Hospital and will be going to my first seminar on April 20th.  I was wondering, is it possible for me to get my labs done ahead of time, along with anything else, so I can use my time before the meeting wisely?  I'm just so anxious to get the date for surgery and I want to cut down on my waiting time.  I have a nasty habit of deciding that I am not important enough to put this much effort into or take away from the family so too many days gives me time to decide that I don't need the surgery.  :)

If anyone can shed light on what leads up to the surgery that would be great.  what does your doctor make you do?  I realize my mileage may vary, but what was your preop diet?  what was the psych eval like?  what labs did you have to have done?  I have heard about a sleep study but I have no issues sleeping.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

shackleford
on 3/30/15 2:33 am

I am a band to bypass patient but I was never able to lose weight with the band.  Band was placed in 2010 and after 3 years of fills and issue after issue I had a complete unfill and began looking into revisions.  I am now 5 days post op revision surgery and I'll just rundown what my new surgeon had me do before surgery.

I was required to do a pysch eval, meet with a nutritionist, EKG, couple rounds of blood work, TSH thyroid test, PCP clearance paperwork, Upper GI, endoscopy, and an esophageal manometry. Some of these may have been because of the problems I was having with the band.  All the tests were easy except that dang manometry... no fun!  I hope to never have to repeat that.  I don't have sleep apnea so I wasn't required to have a sleep study.

My psych eval was easy as well.  The doctor was nice and I just answered honestly.  He asked some pretty basic questions about myself, home life, family, my previous attempts at weight loss, and so on.

My pre-op diet was 3 days of clear liquids plus 60-90g of protein shakes.  After surgery it's 1 week clear liquids (plus protein), 1 week full liquids, 2 weeks soft foods, and progress on.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Surgeon's vary so wildly with pre-op stuff none of this may be helpful.  :)

AmyDee123
on 3/30/15 4:04 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Thanks!  Congratz on your surgery!  Did insurance give you any problems with having a revision?  

I got a phone call back from from the bariatric center and there was a cancellation so I am able to go to the seminar and have my first appt on April 8th!  YAY!  She also gave me the list of labs I need done so my PCP can do them before my appt.  I have those scheduled for April 2nd.  This is the list she gave me:

CMP, CBC, HEMOGLOBIN A1C, IRON STUDIES (FERRITIN, TIBC), LIPID PANEL, TSH, T3, T4, VITAMIN B12, FOLATE, VITAMIN D

She said I could get a sleep study done if i want.  It might be ordered, it might not, but if it is its best to have one already done so it would not delay anything.  She also gave me my pre-op diet since I told her I am a couponer and would like the extra time to find deals.  She is, too, so she understood.  :)  The diet is not too shabby.  Protein shake for breakfast and lunch, lean protein and veg for dinner, and a protein snack.  Plus the 64 ounces of water.  The day before surgery I have to do a system cleanout with magnesium citrate.  That is not as bad as I was expecting.  I may start that after I am done travelling.  

I am going to try and get my PCP to do as many things as possible before the hospital meeting.  I want to lessen the amount of time this takes to get a surgery date.  I have a cruise I am going on in early May.  It will be my last hoorah before surgery i guess.   After that no more drinking, coffee, or normal people eating for a long while.  

AmyDee123
on 3/30/15 4:48 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I also quit smoking 3 weeks ago.  It has not been difficult as I closed my bar about 3 months ago and am not around it constantly anymore.  But we will need to get all the booze and beer that we still have from the old inventory stored or drank before the surgery.  Maybe a few parties are in order. ;)

NYMom222
on 3/30/15 1:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You don't always have to have a sleep study, I didn't.... My surgeon leaves the decision to the pulmonologist. Some requirements are from your surgeon, and some are from the insurance. I called my insurance company and they sent me a link to their bariatric surgery document. My psych eval was simple, a conversation with a psych Nurse practioner. I had an abdominal scan,(gall bladder, liver) and endoscopy, a cardiac eval (which for me included a nuclear stress test because of family history, I passed with flying colors), I already was seeing an allergist/pulmonologist so he just wrote my clearance. Bloodwork, and insurance required 6 months of weights. Which I was able to get from PCP and visits to surgeon, so I did not have to wait. They sent me to the dietician right away, so I was put on a diet of 100g protein a day (including one protein shake) and not more than 100g carbs a day(didn't need to count veggies). I was told I needed to lose 15lbs before surgery. I lost 15lbs. in about 6 weeks  on that. Then I had 3 week pre-surg diet of 3-4 protein shakes per day (Not over 200 calories, 20-30g protein and no more than 5g sugar) and one meal of meat with veg or salad, 2 fruits per day. lost about 25lbs total before surgery. Whew! Think that was it. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 208 views