Hgb of 7.5...help!

cor p99
on 4/17/15 10:25 am

Need some advice.

My LBL was just cancelled due to extremely low Hemoglobin levels. The PS said its way too dangerous to continue at this point. I now have a follow up with my primary care doc on Monday for a follow up.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was done? I'm not sure what to expect, thanks for the feedback.

thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/15 12:15 pm - OH

How recently were your last full set of labs?  Did the most recent labs show low iron, ferritin, etc. numbers (even if they were listed as within the "normal" range)?  

Many RNYers struggle with anemia just because of the lax jpg of vitamin absorption, and our levels can drop pretty quickly, so it isn't too surprising. 

A low hemoglobin level can also be a result of an underactive thyroid, or a number of diseases, but plain old ordinary vitamin deficiency is more likely the culprit because of your RNY.

I would guess that the treatment would be increasing your iron supplementation and/or iron infusion.  After my first knee replacement surgery (while I was still in the hospital), labs showed that my hemoglobin was very low and I was actually given three units of blood, but since the reason for mine was blood loss during the surgery not anemia, getting the blood was the appropriate treatment.  Since you have a very low level, I suppose they might consider giving you blood as well.

I'm sorry they cancelled your surgery because of it. I had my brachioplasty cancelled because the wind storm caused by hurricane Ike took out the electrical power over a large part of our state and the surgical hospital had no power, so I know how disappointed you must be. Hopefully you can remedy the situation quickly and get back on the surgical schedule.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cor p99
on 4/17/15 12:53 pm

Lora,

thank you so much for your comforting words. You have no idea just how helpful they really are. I'm feeling so disappointed and frankly a bit sad, but hey...this is just a bump in the road (I hope). I'm trying to stay as positive as possible at this point.

Its been a year since my last full set of labs so I will likely have them run after my treatment (whatever that ends up being!). 

Wish me luck.

best,

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 337 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 86 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?