Has anyone had the silicone ring placed on RNY pouch during surgery?

nicola3301
on 4/20/15 4:47 pm

Hello,

I am having RNY surgery on 4-27 at the Cleveland Clinic. My surgeon wants to apply a silicone ring around my stomach pouch during surgery. I had never heard of this before. He says it may help to reduce stretching of the pouch over time and re gain. Has anyone had any experience with this? I am worried about the extra complications that could potentially come with it like slippage, erosion, or another surgery. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

RNY 4-27-15    Dr. Schauer    Cleveland Clinic               

aesposito
on 4/20/15 11:34 pm

Some surgeons use a silastic band/ring regularly with the RNY and some don't.  Mine did.  It's not like a lapband, but rather it is meant to prevent re-widening of the opening where the stomach and small intestine meet.  The place it goes is not as prone to slippage and erosion as a lapband (slippage rate of about 1.5% last study I read).  It just prevents the stomach and small intestine from becoming one large reservoir for food and stuff by preventing stretching of the opening between the two. 

Studies differ on whether or not it actually makes a difference.  If your surgeon has done a lot of these, he probably has a preference for a reason... ask him. 

I don't know if it made a difference for me or not, to be honest, although certainly I have been successful.  Some of that is just sheer will and cussedness though, LOL.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

aesposito
on 4/20/15 11:35 pm
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/15 6:21 pm

I did get the ring. I wanted it to help prevent streching and regain farther out. I am only at week 4 now, but I'm doing great!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics