Medic alert?

cherg24
on 5/1/15 9:44 pm - Ontario, Canada

I'm wondering.   Does anyone have a medic alert bracelet explaining that they've had weight loss surgery? I know we can't have NSAIDs so basically I was told you treAt it as an allergy.  I've also heard something about doctors not being able to intubate properly due to stomach??? Am I right or wrong?

aesposito
on 5/1/15 10:22 pm, edited 5/4/15 8:36 am

Some people choose to do so.  It's not strictly necessary, but it's up to you. 

It's not intubation that is a problem, but rather the placement of naso/oro gastric tubes that go down into the stomach (to remove stomach contents or give meds).  Since our stomachs are not the same and other people's, if doctors or paramedics do it blindly (without xrays), they may not be placed properly. 

But as someone who has personally taught the procedure for the last several years, I can tell you there are other ways to confirm placement that don't involve xrays... and we have bigger worries than a misplaced NG or OG tube.  So the bracelet thing is up to you.

As for NSAIDS, paramedics don't give those in the field.  But the ER might for pain.  You can tell them verbally then that you can't do NSAIDS... it's not likely you would get them in an emergency procedure when you are unconscious (not impossible, but not likely).

Audrey

ETA: I am referring to NSAID pain relievers here, not aspirin, which is given during heart attacks by both paramedics and doctors to improve outcomes, not for pain.  I would not refuse an aspirin during a heart attack (see my post below).

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

chulbert
on 5/4/15 12:29 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I wouldn't mention NSAIDs.  In the unlikely event I was both incapacitated and a NSAID was the correct/best treatment I would absolutely want it.

aesposito
on 5/4/15 8:35 am

I should probably add that aspirin, while it's an NSAID, is given by paramedics for potential heart attacks as a blood "thinner" and shouldn't be refused by anyone... I'd rather have an ulcer than be dead of a massive coronary.  Aspirin is linked to much better post-heart attack outcomes. 

I was referring to NSAID pain relievers above, IE, toradol, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

selhard
on 5/1/15 10:38 pm, edited 5/1/15 10:48 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I bought a medic alert silicone band at Walgreens for under $5.00.  On the outside, it has printed words "Alert Medical Condition."  In the inside; thanks to OH vets, I wrote NO NSAIDs and NO BLIND NG TUBE.   Something to consider:  wearing a band that says only Gastric Bypass makes the assumption all ER workers know the do's and don't of bariatric patients.  Medic alert bracelets that look too much like fashion jewelry may get overlooked.  Frustrating warning:  my family needs regular reminding they are to inform medical staff of the above-mentioned in the event I can't speak for myself.  Every single time I remind my DH, he acts like he's never heard me before. He says, "what the hell do you do if you can't have ibuprofen?"   Every single time!

cherg24
on 5/1/15 10:43 pm - Ontario, Canada

Yes my concern wasn't really to say the weight loss surgery  but the NSAID and other problem.  I knew I wasn't using the correct terminology but luckily you understood what I meant thank you. 

lynnc99
on 5/2/15 4:12 am

I've used a medic alert bracelet or necklace for a long time. But honestly - their prettiest bands aren't very durable for the cost so I am stopping in at Walgreens today for the $5 band!

When I go to the doc, I do list NSAIDS as an allergy and have told my husband to be very alert to the "no blind NG tube" alert.

My son is a paramedic and readily points out that when he is on scene at an accident, he does NOT check wallets for cards or emergency info - but he DOES pay attention to medic alert information. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics