Tamoxifen weight gain

Deb63
on 5/29/15 7:28 am

I had my surgery 12/14, in 1/14 I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  It was caught early, I had a lumpectomy, followed by radiation. Now I need to start at least 5 years of Tamoxifen. I am so worried about taking this, I know there's not an option, but I have worked so hard to take this weight off and everything I read says Tamoxifen makes you gain weight. Anyone else taking this?

White Dove
on 5/29/15 8:02 am - Warren, OH

I know several people who did not have weight gain on it.  You will need to carefully control your diet and watch your weight to catch any gain.  I weigh myself daily and adjust food if there is any gain.  For me that is the best way to continue to maintain.  Some people lose weight while on Tamoxifen. 

I am sorry you went through this, but happy that they caught it early and you are getting treatment.  Years ago, most people did not survive breast cancer.  Now we have early detection and good treatments.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Shel25
on 5/29/15 2:25 pm, edited 5/29/15 2:26 pm

Hi, sorry you have to walk this particular path!  Most studies show no significant weight gain with tamoxifen when compared to placebo.  One study showed more weight LOSS in the tamoxifen group than the placebo group. (I would never go by the results of one study but still nice to see.)  There might be other reasons women gain weight after breast cancer diagnosis.  

I would love to blame my past weight gain on tamoxifen, but am pretty sure it was noodles.  Also, I have been able to lose weight ok after WLS (so far) despite continued tamoxifen use. 

Best wishes, 

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Kathyjs
on 6/7/15 10:23 am

My biopsy last week was neg. Thank God. Do what you have to do. Get healthy and then get the weight off. Prayers for a healthy new you

mute
on 6/7/15 3:49 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I took this drug for 3 years and got off of it because I had my tumor retested and I found out I was triple negative and not estrogen positive and didn't actually need that drug.

I've been heavily involved in the breast cancer world coming up on 8 years in 1 month. I go to 2 breast cancer conferences a year, I was the admin for a breast cancer support group on FB that had about 2,000 people in it for 2 years and belonged to a breast cancer message board for years. I've read just about every study there is out there when it comes to this stuff. Regardless of what the studies show I would say anecdotally 95% of the woman I talk to struggle with tamoxifen weight. One of the things I discovered is that if you're post menopausal that the struggle can be more difficult. It's not impossible though and I have no idea what it's like if you've had RNY as well. I absolutely also know people who have had success with keeping the weight off by exercising regularly - they just had to put in more of an effort than previously.

It's possible you may have an edge because of the surgery because of the surgery. Before cancer were you exercising regularly? If so you already have that foundation and can build on that. I did not and still am not so I'm not judging if the answer is no. If you'd like I can message some friends I have that were successful in keeping the weight off while on tamoxifen and see if they did anything in particular. Just let me know.

And congratulations on being done with the lumpectomy and rads!! That's SO huge!!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views