Bubble burst at my 1yr appointment

NinaCanDOit
on 6/23/15 3:37 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

File under totally didn't see that coming...

I had my one year appointment this morning and I was really excited about it.  I have had a great first year, haven't had any major complications and I'm happy with my progress overall.  Last week I was a little panicked that maybe I hadn't lost enough weight, but I took a few steps to try to reign that in and I'm okay.  One of the things I did was to start logging everything on myfitnesspal and I felt it really helped me to see all of the hard numbers like that (prior to that I was really only counting protein).  So crisis averted and I came into my 1 year week feeling pretty good... until my appointment.

Basically my surgeon and nut (RD) want me to chunk myfitnesspal and not be so "obsessive" about counting calories/protein.  (Huh?)  My surgeon said if anything I should be watching my carbs, and then my nut said not to worry about that after seeing my menus.  I showed my nut my written out menus (pretty standard breakfast protein smoothie/lunch, lots of variety in dinners) and she was perfectly happy with my eating, she just wants to stress being more normal?  Like not being so "obsessive" about counting things out (I portion my snacks into 1 oz or 1 serving little mini bags for convenience) and weighing things (I use a scale to weigh out stuff).  Huh?  Part of this whole thing for me has been relearning portion control.

They were seemingly happy with my progress, though I'm not actually sure because neither one actually said anything about that.  My nut was surprised that I want to keep losing weight (what?) and gave me a "sometimes we can be too thin" talk when I expressed my desire to get to my goal weight of 160.  I'm 5'8, I don't think that's beyond the realm of expectation and that is on the high end of a healthy BMI.

I'm just feel like someone popped my balloon.  I was so excited, and proud of myself for handling things as they have come up, that I'm just feeling a little deflated.  It's not the first time I've had to brush off an experience at my surgeons office, so I'll keep doing my thing. 

Maybe when I get to goal I'll be able to ease up and relax into a "normal,"  or maybe I'll always have to be vigilant about my daily intake, I'm not sure, but I'll figure it out and deal with it when I get there. 

tldr - sometimes doctors visits suck and you just have to vent somewhere.

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Emiepie
on 6/23/15 3:40 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

What a yucky feeling! I am sorry you had that happen. Keep your head up and your eyes on the prize!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

NinaCanDOit
on 6/23/15 3:58 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

I think just typing that out was the first step to feeling better about it.  I'm doing ok, and I definitely have my eyes on the prize! 

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

rocky513
on 6/23/15 8:47 am, edited 6/23/15 9:17 am - WI

I think that you just keep doing what you've been doing!  It's working for you!  They don't know you well enough to make that judgement call.  Maybe you are the kind of person that NEEDS to make herself accountable by tracking numbers.  Maybe you know yourself well enough to have figured that out.  Tracking food while you are in the losing phase is NOT the same as being obsessive about food.  Shame on them for making you feel like you're doing something wrong.

I think most surgeons and NUTS have never been obese or had issued with food. They just don't understand how easy it is to fall back into those bad habits that caused you to become obese.  Some of us need the structure of tracking to keep us focused.

I'm 5'7  and my goal was 160.  I have been maintaining at 145 -148 for four years.  I wear a size medium shirt and size 8 pants.  I am NOT too thin.

Carry on!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NinaCanDOit
on 6/23/15 4:06 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

Thank you!  (All of that- exactly - yes!)  I feel like not being accountable got me near 400lbs, so now that I have this amazing tool I want to do everything I can to make good decisions, keep myself in check and be accountable and honest about what I put in my body.

Laura in Texas
on 6/24/15 2:55 pm

Keep doing what you are doing. The people in real life I know who thought they were now "normal" are the ones who have had huge regains. You do not want that to happen to you!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Roma
on 6/23/15 4:23 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

What a weird experience! Sounds like you are doing everything by the book and had your hand slapped.

Good for you, and keep on keeping on.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Stacy C.
on 6/23/15 4:30 pm

You are doing amazing! Don't worry about what your doctor says. They all have different ideas about things and nothing is proven. You've found what works for you and you have made your own normal. That's what we all have to do, create a new normal that's works in our own individual lives and that works for us. Don't get down on yourself. You will meet your goal weight and once there you can decide if it is right for you not your doctor. I hated jumping through all my doctors hoops just to get to surgery because some of them didn't seem right and he didn't really spend time to get to know me and my needs. You are past those games do what you need to do and keep on rocking it!

Kathyjs
on 6/23/15 5:35 pm

I understand what your surgeon means and down the road you will too. This is your new life. I think he means , tAke a deep breath and relax you are doing fine. Trust me, years from now you will understand. Congrats on your loss

NYMom222
on 6/23/15 6:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Boo... this is an ongoing process... you will probably make adjustments to you routine at different stages. For now if it is working keep on going, if it stops working for you, adjust. Celebrate - one year and a new you!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views