Gain/Maintain muscle while losing weight-To the gal that asked back in about April

SkinnyScientist
on 7/7/15 7:51 am

Hi!  This message is directed to the gal  who asked about maintaining muscle while losing weight, whether it was possible.  She asked this question back in about April.  The thread later degenerated into an argument where someone accused her of trying to "school" them (for mind refresher purposes).

The May/June issue of Muscle and Fitness Hers addresses this and gives a workout or two.

If you are interested. Message me with your email, and i will pdf the article and email it to you.

This is a cross post.

Sorry the magnifying glass/search feature for OH is not working on this computer!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Poodlemac
on 7/7/15 3:22 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I'd love to read that article!  I have the scrawniest bird legs now and fear them getting even worse!  But, I also have torn meniscus in both knees so my go to ballet exercises aren't in the plan at this time :-(

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 6:51 am

Sorry to hear about your knees! Can you work out your arms with dumb-bells and the cable machine?

Mary Gee
on 7/7/15 5:52 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Why not just reference the article and provide the link or info............ what's the purpose in adding a comment that "the thread later degenerated into an argument..........

Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble...

Looks like someone's stirring the pot.... 

Guess I'll cross-post this.... 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 7:23 am

"what's the purpose in adding a comment that "the thread later degenerated into an argument.........."

-So that the person would self-identify. School[ing] is an interesting and memorable turn of phrase. As you can see, she DID recognize herself from the thread discussion.

"Why not just reference the article and provide the link or info............"

_I did not provide a link because I have a physical copy.  I did not provide a reference because I did not have the hard copy on me at the time and I am not hauling it in to work to scan if the person of interest wasnt even remaining on these boards. Nonetheless, you have made and excellent suggestion and I am happy to provide the reference:

Muscle and Fitness Hers. May/June 2015. pg. 87-89.

"You can drop body fat and gain muscle more easily when you're new to training, but it gets more difficult as you progress because the lower your body fat, the harder it is to preserve lean muscle mass" says Brad Schoenfeld Ph.D., a certified strength and conditioning coach and an assistant professor in the exercise science department at Lehman College in the Bronx, NY (pg. 87, paragraph 2).

As far as pot stirring, see the self-identification blurb above.  I am trying to help someone, and she appears pleased that her question was remembered.  Perhaps, you are seeing problems where there are none and are  stirring said pot all on your own.

I shall too cross post!!!  You reference suggestion was most excellent as many can go to their library, pick up a copy, and read it for themselves!  Thank you for your positive, constructive contribution!

Have a great day!

Lovely_Z
on 7/9/15 2:38 am

Today YOU are my heroine!!! Thank you for so many reasons mostly for being gracious and brave at the same time. Be blessed and a zillion times thanks. THe article is chalked full of awesome tips!! 

SkinnyScientist
on 7/9/15 2:21 pm

Thank you Lovely!  I am happy to help!  We are all on this journey together.  Some have already reached their goal, some are in transit, and some are just taking off.  Unfortunately, the journey can be full of trails that lead to no-where.  As travelers we want to learn about difficulties we will face and HOW to overcome them.  We want to learn AND be efficient.

I admit, I may not be the most up to-date person when it comes to dieting science. I gave up long ago when eggs went from good to bad to good to "we dont know..."  For example, soda and coffee became hydrating...and I was behind on it (and I still refuse to give up the adage that it is dehydrating...I just cant wrap my head around it.  Like, if it were so hydrating, wouldnt we be drinking that stuff at the gym?  Or maybe that is vitamin water and red bull ?  I dunno).  But when I do find an answer, great recipe, or an "ah-ha!" moment I DO like to share.

Sarahakers11
on 7/8/15 6:10 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I'd be interested as well!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 6:45 am

Hey Sarah!  We are Virginia neighbors!  Hi!

Please send me your email and I will email it out tonight!

miss_moneypenny
on 7/10/15 7:35 pm

I'd love to "see" it also.  My surgery is scheduled for next week and I'm trying to do my due diligence now.  My biggest "fear" is failure and want as much information in my arsenal as to reduce the percentage of reasons to fail.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views