New to Site and Scheduled for October 1 2015

Ricky1011
on 8/4/15 6:44 pm - Canada

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the site and this is my first post. Of course I have read a few things on here and other posts etc. to educate myself better for what is to come. I am scheduled to have Gastric Bypass surgery on Oct. 1/15 with Dr. Debru in Calgary A.B. Canada. I don't know if there is anyone else here from Calgary or not? Of course as time approaches I am nervous, as I am sure a lot of people are or have been. I have been big all my life but worse in the last few years and steadily gained for the last 10 or so. I am 5' 10.5" tall and presently just over 300 lbs. and as per charts, should be around 160 or so, I think.

I have a couple of meetings to go for yet. One conference call with a nurse, and a meeting with 2 doctors prior to surgery. I am also having a barium swallow to check for hernia or anything prior to surgery. I have not been told yet how long pre-op diet will be but probably 2-3 weeks I think. The nurse will tell me when we have our conference call I am told. I am nervous about the diet after surgery and making sure the protein goals are met and proper foods are eaten etc. like staying away from carbs and what not. Does anyone have any sites where recipes etc. are for after surgery, this would be a great help I think.

Also nervous because I am a heart patient who has had a bypass and stents. As for my Cardiologist he says he is in favor of it if it helps me get my weight down as with Arthritis and pain I am very limited as to exercise I can do. Anyways I am rambling on here so I will let you all go. I am going to do the video or picture thing to keep track of my weight etc. as things go along. I think that would also be a great motivator for oneself. I have looked at pictures and videos and it definitely improves my outlook when I see what the surgery can help you with. Please do not think that I think it is the fix all. I know that is not true, but as everyone else I have tried diets all my life and the re-bound effects etc. are always the same. So I am hoping this, along with my own motivation etc. will help me achieve and keep the weight off. I am doing this of course to lose weight, but also for the benefits of the health gains for me. My sleep apnea I hope will improve, my exercise limits with less weight I am hoping will improve, my heart will not have to work so hard. The benefits are endless as we all know. So any advise or recipes or support groups in Calgary would be appreciated.

Thank You

Ricky

cc583
on 8/4/15 12:54 pm, edited 8/4/15 12:56 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16
On August 4, 2015 at 6:44 PM Pacific Time, Ricky1011 wrote:

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the site and this is my first post. Of course I have read a few things on here and other posts etc. to educate myself better for what is to come. I am scheduled to have Gastric Bypass surgery on Oct. 1/15 with Dr. Debru in Calgary A.B. Canada. I don't know if there is anyone else here from Calgary or not? Of course as time approaches I am nervous, as I am sure a lot of people are or have been. I have been big all my life but worse in the last few years and steadily gained for the last 10 or so. I am 5' 10.5" tall and presently just over 300 lbs. and as per charts, should be around 160 or so, I think.

I have a couple of meetings to go for yet. One conference call with a nurse, and a meeting with 2 doctors prior to surgery. I am also having a barium swallow to check for hernia or anything prior to surgery. I have not been told yet how long pre-op diet will be but probably 2-3 weeks I think. The nurse will tell me when we have our conference call I am told. I am nervous about the diet after surgery and making sure the protein goals are met and proper foods are eaten etc. like staying away from carbs and what not. Does anyone have any sites where recipes etc. are for after surgery, this would be a great help I think.

Also nervous because I am a heart patient who has had a bypass and stents. As for my Cardiologist he says he is in favor of it if it helps me get my weight down as with Arthritis and pain I am very limited as to exercise I can do. Anyways I am rambling on here so I will let you all go. I am going to do the video or picture thing to keep track of my weight etc. as things go along. I think that would also be a great motivator for oneself. I have looked at pictures and videos and it definitely improves my outlook when I see what the surgery can help you with. Please do not think that I think it is the fix all. I know that is not true, but as everyone else I have tried diets all my life and the re-bound effects etc. are always the same. So I am hoping this, along with my own motivation etc. will help me achieve and keep the weight off. I am doing this of course to lose weight, but also for the benefits of the health gains for me. My sleep apnea I hope will improve, my exercise limits with less weight I am hoping will improve, my heart will not have to work so hard. The benefits are endless as we all know. So any advise or recipes or support groups in Calgary would be appreciated.

Thank You

Hi Ricky1011, I don't live in Canada but that aside I am right there with you. I am supposed to have the RNY in Oct. 2015 as well. I'm 5'7'' and started out at 484lbs three weeks ago. After starting the medically supervised diet from my surgeon I'm down to 455lbs. I also have sleep apnea and wear a CPAP. I have a fracture in my left knee and major arthritis in right knee so walking and exercising is a big issue for me. As I lose more weight I will be going to YMCA to swim. When I can get in the water I am an avid swimmer. I also have a heart condition with 3 stents in one artery(they call it a full metal jacket). I haven't had a bypass though but I still get chest discomfort at times. I will have have a cardiac catheter done before surgery to get medical clearance. Hopefully I won't have any issues and it be clear otherwise I will have any heart issues taken care of before getting clearance. I have been to 1 meeting so far and have 2 more to attend as well as the endoscopy and other pre-op tests. I have completed my visits with the psychiatrist and nutritionist.

You will find a great deal of support and all knowledge you can handle on this website as well as blunt honesty which is great!

I wish you all the best in success. Don't hesitate to ask any questions at all.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Felicity Q.
on 8/4/15 7:56 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Ricky! Welcome!

Two really good blogs for WLS patients is The World According to Eggface (She is on these forums too!)

Another that I have looked at a lot is Bariatric Foodie.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

cc583
on 8/4/15 8:01 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I haven't heard of the Bariatric Foodie yet! Thanks FelicityQ

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Emiepie
on 8/5/15 7:30 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome, enjoy the journey

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Ricky1011
on 8/5/15 10:06 am - Canada

Thank You

Ricky

Lisa09
on 8/5/15 11:49 am - NH

I am also pre-op. Welcome. Does your hospital have a support group? Start going whenever you can. A person willing to mentor you would be awesome. Sometimes, we feel alone and this board is a wonderful help.  Stay focused!  

Ricky1011
on 8/6/15 11:25 am - Canada

As I have not had the surgery yet I am not sure about the support group for people who have had the actual surgery. I do know when I took the weight management classes they had a support group who met once a month. But like you stated I will check to see if there is a support group for people who have had the surgery.

Thank You

Ricky

Kathy S.
on 8/6/15 11:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp!  We are glad that you have joined our OH community.  

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.  OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey.  Here are a few suggestions:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
Post-op Planner
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

We also have a great HELP SECTION with tutorials to assist you with navigating our site. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

We look forward to your updates

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Ricky1011
on 8/6/15 2:04 pm - Canada

Thank You very much Kathy, it is greatly appreciated for the help. We can all use help along the way.

Ricky

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?