3 1/2 years out... GAINING!

kkjordan78
on 8/31/15 12:45 pm - Manor, TX
RNY on 03/26/12

Hello All,

It's been a LONG time since I last logged in. Anyhoo, Over the past 3 years, I've met and surpassed my goal weight. To make a long story short, I can (and often do) eat like I've had no RNY at all. I can eat a lot, for real. Of course, I know my bad eating habits are a major factor in my regaining weight but, I am really at a loss as to what to do because I feel like I'm starving most of the time. I am string to get back on track and not drink after eating, etc. but I am wondering if anyone here has some words of wisdom for me. I appreciate it.

Lisa

Lisa        
jazzycatz
on 8/31/15 1:37 pm - Joppa, MD

Have you talked to your surgeon? You might need a scope to see if your pouch has stretched out.

I would encourage you to stick around OH and post and read what others have to say. I've stayed since my surgery and I really think it has helped me stay near goal.

You know the rules. Put down that drink during and right after meals. Always protein forward. (That might help with your hunger as well) Do you think therapy might help you get a handle on why you went back to eating more like you had never had the surgery?

You can do this. One step at a time.

kkjordan78
on 8/31/15 2:02 pm - Manor, TX
RNY on 03/26/12

Jazzy,

You said a mouth full! I do need to get back with my surgeon, it has been at least a year since I have seen him. Mainly, because my health insurance changed and he is no longer in my network.

I do need to check in here more often. I remember for several months before and after surgery, I could not stay away! This board definitely gives a ton of support and helped me a lot.

Therapy, oh, therapy. I could go on and on about this one. I realized that I was a binge eater before surgery. That issue was never addressed. Big mistake. Since surgery, I have "abused substances" twice and had to get medical treatment to quit. I have never abused anything (other than food, I guess) in my life. In therapy, I've learned the opiates I became addicted to were a replacement for food.   

What was amazing for me was to see how COMMON substance abuse/alcoholism is for WLS folks! I know the psych exam pre surgery is required and it really needs to be. I passed that with flying colors but, the questions asked were not the root of my real issues.  I went left on a tangent there...

But, thank you for your comments!

Lisa

Lisa        
jazzycatz
on 8/31/15 2:30 pm - Joppa, MD

I was glued to this site immediately before and after surgery as well. After a year or so I dropped away for about 6 months. I came back because I find it helpful just to check in every day or every other day. Just to see what's happening. And I've found people with similiar issues or what have you and that helps. I firmly believe staying active on OH is one of the things that has helped me stay close to my goal. 

I am so happy to hear that you were able to recognize and get medical help for your abuse problems. Congratulations on taking that step. I was just commenting on another thread this morning that I am terrified of taking a drink since my surgery. I have just read so many stories that begin, "I was never much of a drinker before surgery..." and that was me. With my food problems I can see clearly that I would slide right down that slope as well. I will soon have to begin taking a stronger drug for my arthritis pain and I'm worried about that. I take Tramadol now which is nothing but it is also not doing anything for my pain any longer.

And I'll go left on a tangent if I get started on insurance. LOL I'm sorry your surgeon is not in your network anymore.

Don't disappear on us! Stick around--we miss people when they leave. And I do believe you can do this.

selhard
on 8/31/15 10:11 pm, edited 8/31/15 10:37 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Tangent? not at all.  In fact, I think you should expose more of your thoughts either here on OH or in front of a therapist.  OH doesn't cost a thing.  There are WLSers who fixed their obesity problem, are off and running, and don't need any further help.  Then, there's people like me (sigh) and maybe you.  Although I am miles away from where I was, I have experienced and sense demons hiding behind a shaky door waiting for weak moments.  I was super, super morbidly obese so I consider it wise to never trust myself completely.  I like the suggestion to GET SELFISH.  If you don't, do make yourself the best you can be in all ways--healthiest foods, quality clothes, good haircut, proper manners, things like that.  Feeling better about yourself helps make you want to continue forward for a better kkjordon. 

kkjordan78
on 9/1/15 10:22 am - Manor, TX
RNY on 03/26/12

You are absolutely right. Thank you.

Lisa        
AnneL
on 8/31/15 3:32 pm

Lisa, good that you are back here. I am new and plan to stick with it. Great info and support, but you know already know that. Congrats on taking steps on this and the substance issues. I understand that past therapist did not address food issues. I support the notion of returning to therapy. if you do that, I suggest interviewing the therapist for expertise in food issues along with substance and mental health issues. Many therapists are more generalists and can miss specialty needs. 

Best to you. 

kkjordan78
on 9/1/15 10:24 am - Manor, TX
RNY on 03/26/12

I think you are on to something. I think that the therapists that I have seen are very general. I would like to see someone who specializes in my issues. I definitely think it is important. I will begin the search for a new therapist very soon. Thanks.

Lisa

Lisa        
AnneL
on 9/1/15 12:35 pm

I am glad you are planning to take that step. Suggestions to consider, ask about training in addiction and eating disorders,  experience with previous clients with addiction challenges, knowledge of weight loss surgery and recovery, knowledge about science of weight loss success over time. Your comfort level and confidence with therapist is really important. 

Best to you.  

kkjordan78
on 9/1/15 12:39 pm - Manor, TX
RNY on 03/26/12

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely use them when I start looking for a therapist. I will also ask my psych doc when I see him next week. Thank you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 567 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 373 views
Recent Topics