Renaissance periodization meal plans

NadiaM
on 8/31/15 3:54 pm

Anybody heard of this "diet"/meal plans?

I'll be 2 years out next month and been working out pretty consistently and my weight has pretty much plateau'd (give or take 5lbs). I started crossfit recently but everybody is saying my nutrition is off with how I'm training (eating too little during the week and on my training days - less than 1100 cals Monday to Friday)

i was was told to look into the Renaissance periodization meal plans that work for anybody trying to lose weight especially those last few pounds without losing muscle (still want to lose 10 lbs but build more muscle - currently been maintaining between 143-148 forever.) 

any thoughts?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/31/15 4:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If you've been at the same weight for a while npw, you are eating as many calories as you burn. If you eat more, you'll gain.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/15 6:12 pm - OH

What Grim said.  SInce you are maintaining, if you start eating more you will gain weight, and -- since you are not losing even with the new cross fit training -- you apparently ARE eating enough with your workout.  If you had a caloric deficit with the additional exercise, you would be losing.  

Even most "professional" trainers grossly overestimate the number of calories burned during exercise, and most of them do NOT understand how few calories many of us who have had WLS need to limit ourselves to in order to maintain our weight because of our screwed up metabolisms.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard someone say that their "trainer" told them that they needed to eat more just based on the number of calories consumed. Your metabolism is not like your trainer's. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NYMom222
on 8/31/15 6:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes to Grim and Yes to Lora. They don't understand people who have had WLS. They are giving you advice for someone else, not a WLS person....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SkinnyScientist
on 9/1/15 4:07 am

"..without losing muscle (still want to lose 10 lbs but build more muscle - currently been maintaining between 143-148 forever.) "

-This statement confuses me. Are you trying to get to: a) specific weight b) body fat percentage or c) size?

If you have been working on losing fat (say 10 lbs of fat) but gained 10 lbs of muscle you would REMAIN in the 143-148 lb range.

So my question is what are you trying to accomplish?  Adjust your eating and training plans will reflect that.

I am going to assume you are trying to get to a certain weight (versus increasing muscle).  Your goal will be to lose the fat while MAINTAINING The muscle. How do to this?  Eat protein forward, limit carbs (especially noodles/rice/breads) this is called "cutting" by body builders. You should be weight training about 3 times a week and doing cardio on the the off days.  After your weight training, it is recommended you have a protein shake (carb controlled) by the industry magazines.  I would always lift Before lunch and had a very meaty lunch afterward and I got great definitiion in my arms and lower legs.  The trick is to burn the fat while maintaining the muscle.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

chulbert
on 8/31/15 10:13 pm, edited 8/31/15 10:13 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13
I am a CrossFitter.  While the exercise programs are commendable, I wouldn't touch their nutrition advice with someone else's fork.
intothesunshine
on 2/11/16 1:25 pm

why??

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 328 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views