Am I going to fail?

Jenn77p
on 9/3/15 3:47 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

Four weeks post op tomorrow. I just mindlessly binged on 3 1/2 oz of cream cheese, and 2 tbs peanut butter on 4 wheat crackers. This is something I would have done prior to surgery. But I would have ate the entire package of crackers. I feel so ashamed and guilty. Am I setting myself up for failure?  Will I ever stop this behavior?  

Jenn 77 p

Kathyjs
on 9/3/15 3:56 pm

Yes you are setting yourself up for failure. Behavioral therapy helps .

Jenn77p
on 9/3/15 4:03 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

Behavior therapy such as a psychologist?  I can't fail. I need help to succeed. I have to succeed. (Cream cheese block and pb in garbage) 

Jenn 77 p

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/4/15 6:57 am - OH

It doesn't have to be a Psychologist (which is often more expensive), and actually a Psychologist might not be the best choice (many focus on different types of issues).

I would recommend a master's level licensed professional Counselor (or a Social Worker who does a lot of counseling (some don't get as much training in counseling as a Counselor does)). 

They can help you understand the emotional/psychological issues behind the binging, and can help you devise ways to avoid it.  

I think it will increase your chances of succeeding.  Many of us (including me) have been to counseling to get a grip on things.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 9/3/15 4:03 pm - Warren, OH

You need to get that stuff out of the house.

You need to plan your meals, have only on plan foods in the house and track every bite you eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Queen JB
on 9/3/15 4:05 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

The only thing you said that worries me is the word "mindlessly". I can't think of one activity in life that is enhanced by doing it without thought, and everyone here knows eating is certianly in that category!

Good to know you didn't go as far as you would have, pre-op, but I think it is important to take the time you have as a newbie, and set up some better habits. Never ever ever ever sit down with a whole package or container of something. And when you are eating make that the focus of what you are doing. Eating in front of the tv or with a book, just means you are distractred by your job of eating mindfully.

Tomorrow is a new day, but make sure you remember this feeling of guilt, and use it towards making better choices.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

AnneL
on 9/3/15 6:10 pm

Good point about guilt. The function of the emotion is motivate us to change our behavior. Sometimes, however, I may feel guilty and think that is enough consequence and not take the responsibility to make the change. I agree about behavioral therapy. Psychologists are good, important to check with them about behavioral approaches. 

Eggface
on 9/3/15 9:15 am, edited 9/3/15 2:22 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Well... so good news is you are 1 month in and have come to some realizations that you need to make some changes. Shame, guilt, regret... all those are sort of a waste of energy... learning, planning, changing... those are the things you CAN DO...

Now: Gather up anything that isn't the healthiest choice and give it away. Plan the next few meals, write them down, prepare what you can and do that each day... 

Tuesday AM:  Make an appointment with a therapist/psychiatrist someone of that nature that specializes in BED, eating disorders, weight issues. I truly believe the hardest (and MOST IMPORTANT) work involved post-op is the work we do above the neck. No shame in saying I thought I had this but I need help. If you are at a loss as to what you should be eating I'd suggest an appointment with a dietitian. Ask about support groups... call your local hospital, ask your Dr/Surgeon's office. 

Keep coming back here... maybe post on the daily eating thread for some accountability. 

I view obesity like a war... you wouldn't go into battle alone... you want a team, people who have your back... build your team. The only way you will fail is if you give up so don't... do what you know needs to be done.

Best,

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

iloveravens
on 9/3/15 4:36 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Do you have a therapist?  Probably a good idea.  It gets MUCH harder as time goes on...and I'm only a year out!  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

lynnc99
on 9/4/15 1:28 pm

Yes....it is never easy!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views