Anyone else afraid to get rid of bigger clothes?

kaniky
on 10/2/15 9:54 am
RNY on 05/18/15

My goal this weekend is to go through my closet so I can really see what is left that I can wear. My closet is stuff with everything from 18's to 24's. I'm starting on the downside of being too small for 18's. Emotionally, I'm not sure if I'm ready to just take my things and donate them. I've talked to my hubby and told him that I would feel better just bagging them up and putting them in the attic.

Anyone else go through this?

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

radze09
on 10/2/15 10:15 am
RNY on 06/08/15

I recently did the clean out too! I felt like crying. It felt like I was losing myself if that makes sense. I was left with very little and had to hit the thrift store asap! I don't know about you but as a person who likes the thrift store and wore the bigger sizes I always had issues finding anything that would fit! Please donate the clothes!! You can find all sorts of sizes but once 18 and above came they were few and far between! That is my experience at thrift stores in my area though! Once the clothes are gone and you have some newer better fitting clothes you will be so happy you did!! Good luck! ?

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/15 11:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Cortes burned the fleet. Donate your clothes.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mschwab
on 10/2/15 11:19 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I have cleaned everything out except one skirt that I am holding onto as a reminder of how far I have come. It felt so freeing to me to let everything go. Plus, I was happy that someone else that needed the clothes could use them.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

SkinnyScientist
on 10/2/15 2:23 pm

I respect you for keeping it and using it as a "testimonY".

I, on the other hand, took a different route. Being MO for me was like being in prison for 10 years, I dont want to go back, I dont want to think about it, and I dont want to talk about it. I just want to enjoy and talk about all the good things that have come about from being a healthy weight.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

melissasue1982
on 10/2/15 11:46 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I kept the pants I went to the hospital for my surgery in. Meant to keep the shirt, but I think it may have been donated....oh well.

Everything else was either sold or donated!

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

mckey1
on 10/2/15 11:51 am

Like the previous posters It felt freeing to be able to bless someone else with the clothes, because no matter what size I was I always liked my clothes. I kept thinking what if I need it and I knew that was the wrong frame of mind to think in. So I have only a few shirts that I can still wear and still be stylish in. But so grateful to my mom who is also very trendy who had a lot of clothes in the size I am in now. Enjoy being able to bless someone else.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/2/15 12:16 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Yeah it can be hard giving away clothes you like. I donated most of my clothes, & kept some clothes that I really liked. I kept thinking I'd find someway to repurpose them, either as sleep shirts or taking them to a tailor, or as a reminder of how far I've come., etc, etc.

So far what I do is go thru the closet & put the clothes on a chair, or at the bottom of my closet, then put in my new smaller clothes on the hanger. I guess I was getting used to the new smaller clothes while still holding on to the older clothes, when my chair/closet started to become too messy or the cats wanted to sleep on top of them, that was my cue to bag them up & give them away. I'd start again with the drop in sizes.

Just the other day I realized almost all my winter clothes are way too big, I was in BJ's thinking well maybe some stuff will fit this time, & sure enough it did!

Maybe developing a system to help you ease out & eventually get rid of your old clothes will help you deal with it emotionally Eventually getting rid of your old clothes won't be no big thing at all & shopping can be so much fun! Sorry for the rambling post, good luck to you!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 10/2/15 12:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 2, 2015 at 4:54 PM Pacific Time, kaniky wrote:

My goal this weekend is to go through my closet so I can really see what is left that I can wear. My closet is stuff with everything from 18's to 24's. I'm starting on the downside of being too small for 18's. Emotionally, I'm not sure if I'm ready to just take my things and donate them. I've talked to my hubby and told him that I would feel better just bagging them up and putting them in the attic.

Anyone else go through this?

I pie was thrilled to get rid of all my too big clothes. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough. For me, keeping all ranges of sizes of clothes that are too big gives me subconscious permission to NEED them again.

Pit is an old habit to keep clothes that are the next size up " in case" I gain and need to wear them. I think twice if my clothes start feeling tight. It makes me realize I need to seriously get things under control cause I'm NOT buying larger clothes,oh hell NO!

SkinnyScientist
on 10/2/15 2:26 pm

You are exactly right on those subliminal cues.

While I havent yet entered into my third year post-op, I havent had that dreaded "bounce back" yet either.

I credit this, in part, to not having anything to gain into!!!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views