So question for the vets about the liquid diet

frhoffard
on 10/6/15 12:43 pm, edited 10/6/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

Good afternoon everyone. So my question is.......After the surgery, would I still be able to use my Vitamix to make protein smoothies. I use fresh fruit, spinach or power greens mix from Costco, Protein powder, carrots or celery and ice. I'm worried that making the smoothies will mess with my daily carb count. I already drink like 2 of these a day and I've been keeping my count between 50-80 grams per day, my calories are usually around 1000 per day and I'm getting in between 80-100 grams of protein each day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: My dietitian didn't have much guidance for me on this; when I asked she said to get my protein and liquids in "any way you can tolerate". I just really don't want to set myself up for failure while thinking I'm doing something healthy!

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

hollykim
on 10/6/15 12:55 pm, edited 10/6/15 5:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Pacific Time, frhoffard wrote:

Good afternoon everyone. So my question is.......After the surgery, would I still be able to use my Vitamix to make protein smoothies. I use fresh fruit, spinach or power greens mix from Costco, Protein powder, carrots or celery and ice. I'm worried that making the smoothies will mess with my daily carb count. I already drink like 2 of these a day and I've been keeping my count between 50-80 grams per day, my calories are usually around 1000 per day and I'm getting in between 80-100 grams of protein each day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: My dietitian didn't have much guidance for me on this; when I asked she said to get my protein and liquids in "any way you can tolerate". I just really don't want to set myself up for failure while thinking I'm doing something healthy!

most ppl have the best loss at 500-700 calories. 1000 is maintenance for most of us.

Smoothies are really just a fad diet. You can get way more calories in if you drink liquid calories. The fruits are pure sugar are and none of the benefit of the fiber.

If you give your body pure sugar it will but it first and won't burn your stored fat for energy.less fat burned means less weight loss.

frhoffard
on 10/6/15 12:57 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

Thanks! I haven't had surgery yet so I still have time to re-adjust to making the drinks a different way. I will definetly work on it!

Sarahakers11
on 10/7/15 6:34 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

WOW I think I would die on 1000 calories a day. I am super active but I think I get closer to 1400 - 1600 typically.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

rocky513
on 10/6/15 1:45 pm - WI

Drinking your calories is never good idea ...even if it seems like a healthy drink. Liquids flow right through our pouches (since we have no pyloric valve) and will not keep us satisfied and you will end up eating more than you should. Eating dense protein is the best way. In the beginning you may have to do shakes for awhile. Skip the smoothie idea and stick with straight protein powder made with water, milk, or nut milks. Smoothies have too many calories and carbs and none of the fiber that we need post surgery. If you are taking your vitamins, you don't have to worry about eating veggies and fruit until you are closer to your goal weight. You will be nutritionally sound. Adding fruit to your post op plan can slow or even stop your weight loss. The body reads fruit as pure sugar. You can add the non-starchy veggies (per your surgeon's plan) later for the fiber. The fiber will help with constipation.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

supershopper
on 10/6/15 1:59 pm

I was just going to say- you might have a major dumping issue with all that sugar...

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

nellyinAK
on 10/6/15 5:57 pm

It's good you are thinking about it now. For me personally, I would have never, never successfully incorporated Protein Shakes into the liquid phases of my post-op diet if I didn't start drinking them beforehand to get a taste.

Sherrie P.
on 10/6/15 6:58 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Initially, I would NOT eat fruit - some people have adverse reactions to fruit sugar. Personally, I don't have issues with them, but I try to eat my protein. I only used shakes for about 3-5 weeks post op.

I occasionally drink them now when I am trying to cut calories, but with no added ingredients.

Good luck!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Tish6918
on 10/6/15 9:26 pm - Seattle, WA

I asked my surgeon about veggie shakes like the one you described and I was advised against it. The nutritionist at my doctor's office said they were "liquid calories" that should be avoided for several reasons--one of which is that we need to eat (instead of drink) our food in order to learn what it means to feel full with our smaller stomach.

But beyond that, I would say this. When you're at the liquid stage, you'll likely only be drinking 2-4oz per meal and consuming anywhere between 200-400 calories a day. That's not much. In order to meet the minimum protein requirements established by your doctor, you'll need to consume liquids that contain as much protein as possible such as lentil soups, yogurt, etc. You also want to avoid excess carbs because that can potentially impact your weight loss.

So if it were me, I'd ditch the shakes for now. You might be able to go back to them once you're closer to the maintenance stage, but for now, you want to focus on eating foods that are high in protein and contain very little carbs/sugars.

Hope this helps!

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

JA
on 10/7/15 5:55 am - East Haven, CT

11 years out and I am still not a fan of drinking protein. You will have a great desire to chew, which I would guess would lead to poor eating after the drinking of the shake. I also agree with everyone else's posts re: carbs, liquid sliding through your pouch. You will long to eat "real" food after the first few weeks. So my advice is to embrace the "whole" protein as you take it back and learn to "eat" and not drink your meals, so you will not feel "odd" in social situations down the road.

Best of luck.

JA

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?