7 weeks out and my weight loss has stopped

rondadls
on 11/21/15 5:31 pm

Ok I could use some help. I will be 7 weeks out on Monday and suddenly I am not loosing any weight. Is this normal? I also am having trouble eating. I eat two or three bites and I start getting a little nausea and getting grossed out. The thought of meat turns my stomach and to smell or look at food will also turn my stomach. I've tried the protein drinks but they are too sweet. Please if anyone has any advice.

Nerdy_girl
on 11/21/15 8:50 pm - MD

Stalls in weight loss are normal (and in my case, frustratingly frequent).  You have to keep doing what you are supposed to do and eventually they break.  For what it's worth, my surgeon's office said they often see stalls when a new patient progress from one of the post-op food stages to the next. 

As for the nausea and having trouble eating, that's not normal, but it is common.  Many of us have issues with particular foods post surgery that were just fine before.  I don't have personal experience with that one, but I'm sure someone will come along in the morning and provide some suggestions.  You might also search the forums for "nauseous." Regarding the protein being "too sweet" you might try an unflavored protein in something savory (blended soup?) or the chicken broth flavored protein from Unjury. This saved me during the 5 weeks of liquids my doctor required during my recent revision (2 wks pre-op and 3 wks post-op). 

If it continues, go see the doc.  Your "designer anatomy" is still new, and it's best to keep your medical team in the loop about anything that isn't working the way it should. They can give you meds to control the nausea if it gets bad.

Hang in there.  It gets better. 

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

White Dove
on 11/22/15 3:22 am - Warren, OH

So if you cant eat meat or protein shakes, what are you consuming?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rondadls
on 11/22/15 4:44 am

Mootopia milk from Heb 12 grams protein for 1 cup a few beans and I have jut been forcing myself to eat a few bites of meat. I really need some vegetarian options until this passes.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/22/15 3:31 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Are you going to your doctor's support group meetings?? Make them a priority. 

You must find a way to get your protein in.  The weight loss will follow - don't weigh more than once a week. 

You should be worrying about getting the protein in.  Forget the meat, try fish and moist poultry and other things.  Keep trying different protein shakes - your 'they are two sweet' comment is not indicating you understand that you are 7 weeks post op, still healing, and you need to do what is necessary at this phase, it will get better. Get unflavored protein.  You will have more options down the road after 3 months. My favorite at your stage was cottage cheese with some spaghetti sauce - nuked to warm it - WLS lasagna.  

Asking here is a good first step, but going to your support group is a way to get frequent new information.   Here is an excerpt for a booklet on protein for 4 to 6 weeks. This is a US govt publication, so it is public information.  Follow your own doctors instructions, but you may find some meal ideas. Others may have more suggestions.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Alxvb.dx.heEeZTRb.W61Hi bvZx4?p=evans+army+community+bariatrics+post+op+information& toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

When choosing your foods, select from the list below for best tolerance:
Low-fat animal proteins:
- Low-fat cottage cheese or fat-free yogurt sweetened w/aspartame (watch for diarrhea
with the yogurt; if it is too sweet, try plain yogurt and flavor with your own fruit or
sweet flavorings such as vanilla and cinnamon)
- White fish such as canned tuna in water, cod, snapper, flounder, sole, ono, opakapaka,
imitation crab meat. No fried fish sticks.
- Shrimp if not too chewy.
- Wet/soft chicken or turkey (breast or thigh, no skin)
- Scrambled eggs or egg substitute
- Nonfat and low-fat cheeses
- Sugar-free puddings blended with tofu or skim milk with several tablespoons of nonfat
dry milk powder added to the milk.
- 12 -
Low-fat plant foods high in protein:
- Beans, lentils; 20-30% protein (fiber may cause some distention)
- Tofu, green soybeans (also called edamame)
- Veggie meat replacements such as veggie patties, soy ground beef
(moisten with chicken broth if too dry or a little bit of tomato sauce)

Sharon

karin602
on 11/22/15 6:03 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Great list of some protein choices. There are still days over two years out I really on st Greek yogurt and fat free cottage cheese. I have also used boost snack sized protein in chocolate flavor heated up on cooler nights for hot chocolate. Another alternative is skim evaporated milk (not condensed which is very sweet with sugar) with a little artificial sweeter and chocolate extract heated up. You can control the sweetness for this one.

Karin

Maria27
on 11/22/15 6:51 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Cheese and Greek yogurt have been a major part of my diet since surgery. Either get plain Greek yogurt an add stuff to it or try Dannon light & fit Greek. I have not found any other brands that have as few carbs. Get used to eating part-skim mozzarella cheese, either shredded, block, or string cheese.

Do all kinds of meat turn your stomach? I have that problem with any processed meat, but rotisserie chicken has never bothered me. I am fine with cod, ahi tuna, chicken breast, boar's head black forest ham, and poultry jerky. Any kind of low quality meat makes me want to vomit. I suggest you try some different kinds of meat and pinpoint exactly what bothers you.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NYMom222
on 11/22/15 3:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Stalls are normal as well as food adversion. At your stage I remember feeling like if I drank another shake I would vomit. I was also having a hard time getting all the fluids in. I really had to make a plan and stick too it. I also had to keep trying different things until I found something that worked. For me It was Click of Fit Frappe Mocha protein powder. The coffee flavor I could tolerate. Not getting your protein and fluids in is not an option, you are far enough out. It the protein drinks are too sweet, add more water to them.

Try checking out the 'What are you eating today" posts for eating ideas... as well as some Bariatric blogs.

theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

bariatriceating.com/

bariatricfoodie.com/

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kerbear1969
on 11/23/15 3:02 am - MD

Stalls are pretty normal, make sure your getting enough fluids (water) in and protein.  The grossed out part I'm wondering myself if it ever will go away, Im 4 months out this week and let me tell you I have to force myself to eat, food smells, looks and taste makes me dry heave.  Unbelievable since food USED to be my best friend,ummmm not anymore.

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

rondadls
on 11/23/15 5:08 am

Thanks for your input. You describe exactly how I feel. Everything about eating grosses me out especially any kind of meat. I was eating it fine the first few times but then something changed. I am going to try no meats for a few days and go with yogurt, cheese, and different nuts to see if I feel better. I have also been using an unflavored protein powder in anything that I can mix it in to try to up the protein. Good luck to you. It looks like you are doing great. Everyone gave me great advice but you seem to hit my issue right on the head. lol Thanks.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 445 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404