Honestly, Pain Level?

BKimball29
on 2/10/16 10:33 am
VSG on 02/16/12

Hello! I am hoping to be approved for a revision from the sleeve to the RNY shortly. I was wondering how bad the pain is with the RNY? I felt gas pain in my shoulders when I immediately woke up from the sleeve, but that only lasted a few hours. I was able to return to school and my normal activities in just a few short days. My energy returned 100% about 2 weeks later. How is this with the RNY?

Deanna798
on 2/10/16 10:36 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My recovery was easy peasy. Though since you are having a revision, yours may be more painful depending on scar tissue,  etc. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

BKimball29
on 2/10/16 10:42 am
VSG on 02/16/12

Thank you for your reply dear. How was your energy level? I am not sure if they will be doing a pouch with me or not since I do have the sleeve but I am planning on asking them shortly. No idea if that makes a difference pain wise though.

Deanna798
on 2/10/16 10:46 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Mine was pretty good.  I took 3 weeks off, because it was paid,  but I have an office job and physically could have come back earlier. 

I've heard that the sleeve hurts more because they have to cut a larger section of the stomach.  With RNY the pouch is smaller  so the cut is smaller as well.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

BKimball29
on 2/10/16 10:48 am
VSG on 02/16/12

Thank you for telling me about your experience! I am getting very excited but also I little nervous.

hteadtbear
on 2/10/16 11:48 am
RNY on 09/01/15

Im pretty sure everybody's experience is a little different.  I had the band to bypass.  Having the RNY was entirely different for me than the band.  I was back to work on day 5 after the band and feeling really good. It took a bit longer and definitely more pain with the revision.  My Dr said not only a different procedure but basically have 2 procedures at once.  I was off work for 6 weeks.  I could have went back at 5 but took the whole six off.  I also have a desk job but I just found myself so tired for those 1st weeks.  After the 1st couple of days the pain was primarily from that inside stitch and until that was gone it was painful especially certain positions that pulled it.  I took pain meds pretty regularly for the 1st 2 weeks then it was more like when I moved a lot and had more pain.  I did walk regularly. 

That was my experience.  I feel great now though.  Totally worth it.

moe4572
on 2/10/16 12:50 pm
with

My pain level was next to nothing after the first night. I took about 1 1/2 weeks off (also an office job)..........but more because I had to focus so much time and energy on getting all my protein and fluids in! And, I was (and still am-surgery was the end of November) very tired, but as I said pain wise it was very easy.

Good Luck!

MassHockey
on 2/10/16 3:09 pm

I had absolutely no pain.  I had surgery on a Wednesday and asked my wife to bring me to work when she picked me up from the hospital on Friday (she wouldnt bring me....made me wait til Monday).

ChristyO
on 2/10/16 3:25 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

When the anesthesia wore off it took a while to get the pain back under control,. I had RNY Feb 1st my friend had sleeve a few days earlier, our pain was the same.  My energy level is still slow after one week, but I can get out and do what I need to do.  The morning after surgery I was up dressing myself, and up and down all over the room. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Kris G.
on 2/10/16 5:01 pm

I just had revision from band to RNY 1 month ago. I had no pain whatsoever from the bypass, I did wake up with pretty severe gas pain but walked it off fairly quickly. I also was approved for 3 weeks off but didn't need it all. My only issue was pretty sever throat pain from either the breathing tube or the scope or both but that went away completely in a week.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404