New and scared!

skinnygirlinside
on 2/10/16 2:38 pm

Hello everyone!  I have been following this board for a while and have found myself nodding my head and relating to so many things you all have shared...except for surgery.  I weigh 364 lbs and meet with my surgeon on March 3.  I am fairly certain that I will receive the RNY due to my size and I am trying to soak up all of the info that I can.  I am 41 yrs. old and a "new" mom to my 17 year old sister.  She was adopted internationally by my parents who have since passed away.  She is my little angel and a huge reason for the new, healthier lifestyle (of course I want to do it for me, too :))

So, my first question is:  did you feel completely terrified at first?  If so, how did you combat your fears? 

I am so excited to start this journey and learn from you all!

ChristyO
on 2/10/16 3:05 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

Hi, I just had RNY surgery February 1st and got my staples out Monday I'm one of those types that doesn't really get scared till the last minute but I was a little scared I just pushed through meeting all of the requirements and felt very lucky to be able to get the surgery because a lot of people can't because insurance won't pay if I can answer any questions let me know

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

skinnygirlinside
on 2/10/16 3:10 pm

Congratulations on your surgery!  Thank you for sharing your perspective.  That is a very good way to look at it!  I will think about this as fears start to creep in.  Thanks again and good luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 3:09 pm, edited 2/10/16 9:04 am

I was very worried also. It happened very fast for me, but the 40 days the whole process took was concerning for me. We're naturally afraid of things we've yet to experience. You are going to be fine.

My best defense was organization. I, well, my wife got everything prepared for my return home. All of my liquids were already in 2 oz. cups etc...She made sure I was stocked for 2 days ahead. You will be ingesting a really small amount of anything initially, there will be ALOT of water. I had hiccups for the first 2 days after surgery. I could not prepare for that.

Congrats on this great step to a better, more fulfilling life.

skinnygirlinside
on 2/10/16 3:13 pm

Excellent point about fearing the unknown!  So very true!  Thank you for the advice and I love the organizational tip!  Hiccups?  Really!  I haven't heard about that side effect.   Again, thank you for sharing!

Emiepie
on 2/10/16 5:01 pm, edited 2/10/16 9:02 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Congrats on your decision and being active on this site has certainly helped me through the process. I was very nervous when I first started the process but once I got all the steps and info I knew I was making the right choice for me. Research and ask lots of question. Best of luck to you.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

skinnygirlinside
on 2/11/16 8:42 am

Thank you so much for your kind response!  I am excited to be here :)

Han Shot First
on 2/11/16 10:06 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

If you're familiar with this board, then you've already found a lot of good information, but remember that people online tend to post more when something goes wrong compared to when things are going well.  Chances are, you will come through fine, and have no major complications.  They may happen, which is why it is so important to be informed, but don't let it freak you out when you read about them.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 183 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?