Epiphany!

Deanna798
on 2/12/16 12:32 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I've been struggling for a while now with eating off of plan. It's this nasty cycle of struggling to be good, giving in to my cravings, and then getting down on myself. Every week, every day, it's the same thing. I kept telling myself to stop the cycle, to stop. STOP!

I think I finally got it today. I think it has clicked. It's not that the cravings just went away or something, the head hunger is still there. It's that I finally realized the answer to the problem. I just need to stop. I've done it before. I did it when I had surgery, I did it when I quit smoking, I can do it now.

So this afternoon it finally hit me. I'm done with giving in, I'm done with playing little games to see how far I can pu**** and stay within limits.

This is probably the wrong weekend to do it because it's a holiday and I'm going away, but hell, I've always loved a good challenge!

So, my vow as of right now is no more simple carbs, no more giving in, and no more going off of plan.

No crackers, pretzels, cookies or sweets (even the sugar free ones). No popcorn. I will still have 1/2 a low carb tortilla with a meal, but I WILL keep my carbs at 50g or under a day. I WILL keep my calories at no more than 850 a day! I WILL get all my protein in.

No more manipulating my menu to see what I can squeeze in, no more snacking when I'm not truly hungry. I NEED to get to my goal, I've been stalled for too long and I know it's because of my carb intake.

I'm feeling refreshed and strong, I am going to do this!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Spencerella
on 2/12/16 12:41 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Love your new approach Deanna!  I call this the difference between 'wanting' compliance and 'requiring' it.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

karenp8
on 2/12/16 12:46 pm - Brighton, IL

You have got this Deanna! Just take it one choice at a time. You are strong enough to do this and get to goal. I steer clear of the sugar free treats too,because they are a slippery slope for me. Keep us posted!

Chilipepper
on 2/12/16 2:11 pm

Sounds like a good plan!!!! We need to eat to live NOT live to eat.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

rocky513
on 2/13/16 4:37 am - WI

This is exactly why I tell people that they have to change EVERYTHING about how they relate to food.  Good for you that you recognize it and are doing something about it.  We can live a happy life without eating crappy food.  We give way to much of our power away to crackers, sugar, and bread.  It's just food, not happiness. It won't end your stress and problems if you eat that donut.  The problems will still be there along with the new guilt you feel for going off plan.  It's just not worth it.  

My house is filled with carbs.  My husband is thin and can eat anything.  I buy the things that he loves to eat.  I choose to not eat them.   I don't feel deprived.  I feel empowered that I finally have taken back control of my feelings and food doesn't "own me" any longer.  

Don't get me wrong.  Early out I struggled with my food addiction.  I watched him eat the crappy carbs and cried... a lot!  I knew, if I gave in and ate them, that I would be playing a dangerous game with my health.  I didn't go to the extreme of WLS to not follow the eating plan and give in to unhealthy food.  It was my last chance at a healthy life.

I see success written all over you!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

karenp8
on 2/13/16 11:09 am - Brighton, IL

I want to be you when I grow up,Rocky! Your replies are always so 8nsightful and wise. I have learned so much from you about choosing to stay on plan and food being fuel and that's all. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I too am surrounded by carbs at home and every day I take one choice at a time and make it a smart one. When I want that brownie that my husband has,I look at the picture of the 272 pound me on my frig! Every time I decide I prefer the size 0 XS shirt me to the old me. The reminder makes those choices a bit easier!

rocky513
on 2/13/16 12:15 pm - WI

Awww, Thanks, Karen!

I  make the good food choices minute by minute, day by day.   I remind myself that the doughnut my husband enjoys is the very poison that was killing me before surgery.  I remind myself daily of how sick I was, how terrible I felt, how painful it was to do ordinary household chores.  I never want to go back to that life.  It really is as simple as waking up everyday and choosing to LIVE!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

supershopper
on 2/13/16 6:31 pm

You can and will succeed!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/16 11:43 am

I have had this same issue and I'm with ya!  When I think about how sick I feel when I eat that crap, how I am ruining all my hard workout work, how in the end it's not benefiting me in any way...it's like useless.  We can do this!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?