Question regarding Zinc

ChrisSteak
on 5/3/16 6:49 pm
RNY on 02/20/15

I just received my 1 year post op blood work results. My Nurse Practitioner called to say my zinc level is low. She wants me to start 25mg daily for 4 weeks. I went to the drug store and there are 2 varieties. Chelate and Citrate. I know the Calcium we take is citrate, does anyone know if it is also the best kind to use for Zinc. Also, once my 4 weeks are up does that mean my zinc is going to be back to it's normal level for good? I plan to have follow up blood work done again in a few months but just wondering if anyone has experienced a zinc issue and what your outcome has been. Thanks. Chris

Maria27
on 5/3/16 7:38 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I take Zinc Gluconate. Your level will not likely go back to normal for good. I took 50mg zinc everyday for a while, but I stopped when my level tested in the upper range. A few months later, my level was back down to one point above deficiency. I now take 50mg 3x per week to keep my level in the normal range. It is fairly easy for me to assess my zinc level by observing my fingernails. When my level is low, they split and break easily, and when it's high, they are almost impossible to cut with a nail clipper.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/4/16 5:20 am

If anything - citrate may be better. 

I think chelation makes them bind to proteins that get best absorb in normal people, but not in RNY or DS... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404