Post-Op Regain- Starting Over?

Laura J.
on 5/3/16 9:00 pm
RNY on 05/22/14

Hello everyone,

It has been nearly two years since I got RNY and I am struggling to fight this regain I have found myself in. I originally lost 100 lbs and now I have gained 35-40 lbs back. I look at pictures of me at my smallest and really want to get back to that point but I still find myself eating everything I should not. I will be honest and say I followed very little of what I should have (i.e. portion sizes, protein first, protein shakes etc.) and I am wondering if anyone has found themselves in this position and what did you do to get out of it? Where did you start?

I feel like I need to start with portion sizes/ protein intake and I am wondering what you all think? I really do want honest help and I realize I already started off on the wrong foot. Please help!

Sunqueen15
on 5/3/16 9:16 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I am only 2 months out and can't help you with your question but I do have one for you. Did you follow the diet exactly the first year after surgery? I struggle every day and currently do a good job at following but I fear if I mess up, I would not lose weight or regain. Im sorry to hear of your struggle now and wish you the best! From reading lots on here, I think the vets will say "you have your tool, use it" I've seen lots of people say it can be done with weighing your food, protein, and water :-) 

peachpie
on 5/4/16 3:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Portion size and protein first is the best place to start. If that seems overwhelming, pick one of those two, then gradually incorporate the other. What size portion of ordering are you thinking of sticking to? Being 2 years out from surgey I'm thinking 3-6oz. Protein goal should be between 60-100g daily.  You should know what protein forward consists of, dense meats, some dairy. I would only supplement with shakes as needed.

Are you drinking calories? Drinking with meals? Those are other areas to consider making changes. You can do it!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

SkinnyScientist
on 5/4/16 11:16 am

I want to tack on to Peach pies advice that it has to be DENSE protein to keep you satisfied. Think about meats in solid/nonsoft form. For example, scrambled/boiled eggs (a soft protein) go through me very quickly now that I am 2+ years out. EGGS do not satisfiy. However, chicken breast (or chicken IN some eggs) really gives it some staying power and I am able to wait 5 hours between meals as directed by my surgeons plan.

Another weird one, ground beef can sometimes be satisfying and sometimes not. Pulled pork generally stays.

So you want to stay SATISFIED.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

White Dove
on 5/4/16 4:32 am - Warren, OH

Get a food scale and measure your food before eating.  Dense protein should be most of your meals.  Absolutely no protein shakes.  You do not need the extra calories.  Set a timer and wait 30 minutes after eating before drinking any liquids.

Right after surgery we lose weight no matter what we eat.  That magic wears off.  To lose your regain be realistic.  You will be doing good to lose a pound a week and it take 35-40 weeks to have it all gone.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 5/4/16 11:17 am

I just want to say. I love you. You are always spot on.

Scarlett S.
on 12/1/20 7:27 pm - TN

What do you do about carb craving? That is my number one enemy for my regain. I am out of control. I don't like meat and have always struggled to get in protein. Also do you really thing the waiting to drink thing is true? I lost all my weight pretty quick and never could use this technique because I am a very dry person and drink a lot. Could that me my problem with this regain ? I have strived everything to lose what I have gained. Have you ever heard anything about traditional dieting not working for bariatric folks? Why can I not lose weight. I can only gain !!??

White Dove
on 12/2/20 7:57 pm - Warren, OH

Drinking with your meals is a main reason for regain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNdeGkkwqlw

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 5/4/16 5:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Exactly what White Dove said. Weigh your portions. Dense protein only for now. Get rid of every carb you can. It will take a week to get over cravings.

Log your food religiously. Cut back on calories. Make it your job to track what you eat. The scale will go down.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/4/16 11:17 am

Luv you too...you are spot on too!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?