Recent bypass, concerns & questions

Nat2016
on 5/5/16 5:35 pm
RNY on 04/21/16

Hello all!

I just had my surgery on 4/21 and the first week I rapidly lost weight... and then I suddenly stopped, completely. In the past five days I have not lost anything. When I spoke with my surgeon he simply told me to stop weighing myself. Not helpful, as I'm really freaked out by this.

I'm currently consuming a premier shake in the morning, two ounces of soft food for lunch and another two ounces for dinner.

Keeping up pretty good with water, but still feeling really low energy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to jump out of this stall? I'm so frustrated that it's already "not working".

Also, do we eat 2 ounce meals forever? Does it increase at some point?

Can we ever eat popcorn again?

I originally wanted the sleeve and my surgeon talked me out of it, and I'm really worrying that I made a huge mistake.

All feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Nat

Heavens2Betsy
on 5/5/16 6:49 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Trust me - it's working!  Sometimes our weight loss just stops as our whole body adjusts to its new normal.  Give it time, don't give up and stick to your food plan.  You'll be just fine and will look back at this in a few weeks and giggle.  The best way to jump it, is to go thru it sticking to your plan.  Remember, it's a long term plan and you're in this for the long haul!  In the past we've looked for quick fixes, but not anymore - this is for life and it works if you work it!

Also, we all have that day of "buyers remorse" where we think we've made a horrible mistake.  It's almost universal!  So don't despair, it will pass and you'll be feeling better soon.  Actually, it took me about 5 weeks to feel nearly normal. 

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

supershopper
on 5/5/16 7:07 pm

When you say 2 oz soft food, what are you eating?

search the 3 week stall on here- not unusual though...

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

cabin111
on 5/5/16 7:23 pm

Below is a copy and paste from DX...very knowledgeable man.  It might help.  He had said after WLS it is like decending stairs...

Still staying on-track calorie-wise? And the scale shows you stopping? Or Even Gaining?!?!?--Re-Post Unsolicited advice/info... -------------------------------------- Pull back from your 'daily' charting, and look at a weekly or even monthly. There are up and down spikes each day, But if you 'graph' the highest to the lowest, I'd bet there is still A downward slope over the course of the month. There's an 8 to 10lb. volume of "wiggle room" due to water alone. And it comes into play a lot. This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy - One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, (Like when you drop down to your calorie intake) Your body turns first to stored glycogen, Which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet. As you stay in caloric deficit, however, Your body starts to 'realize' that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue And burning fat for energy. But your body also 'realizes'---- (by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake) ---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy - Like, to outrun a saber-tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, And rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, (Thus showing negative Calorie load overall) Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored. Yes? The whole 'weight-loss' process is not a straight "Slide" down the scale. More like "Stair-Steps," (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc... As your body cycles fat out of "deep storage" and through the Liver Into the muscles as Glycogen. The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply. This is why many people find that their "Stall" or "Plateau" Breaks when adding a bit of exercise And upping their water intake, or in the case of an "extreme exerciser," The total Calorie or Protein Intake, To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen. Fear not, many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI Once had a few weeks or so of thinking- "...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped..."? Hope this helps some. You are doing Great! Keep it Up! Best Wishes- Dx

mschwab
on 5/5/16 8:06 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

That was actually very helpful advice from your surgeon.  Stay off the scale if it is going to freak you out.  You will experience many, many stalls along the way.  The only way to get through them is to stay on plan, weigh and measure your food, and keep your eye on the prize.  The number on the scale is only one data point in measuring progress.  This is not a diet, but the rest of your life. Enjoy the journey, and relax. If you follow your surgeon's direction, you will succeed.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

karenp8
on 5/6/16 5:53 am - Brighton, IL

Your surgeon is right. If the numbers on the scale drive you crazy,don't weigh so often. Worry about what you can do--follow your surgeonS guidelines to a T--and not what you can't  (those pesky numbers on the scale)! I started at 272 pounds and have now weighed 120 to 123 for about three years and yet I had weeks sometimes several in a row where I lost no weight. You will get there too if you follow directions. When you are farther out you will advance to more food. My surgeon does 2 ounces,4 ounces,3/4 c and finally 1 cup per meal for life. Popcorn will be possible farther out too but is not really a good choice. Since we eat such a small amount of food we really need protein not carbs like the popcorn. Carbs tend to lead to wanting more carbs which are usually those things that made us need surgery in the first place. A slippery slope for most of us. This is a totally new game! It's not a quick fix like a diet we can do to get to goal and then stop. It's a new lifestyle where we take our time,make smart choices and move and live more. Don't worry,if I can do this by following directions,you can too!

SkinnyScientist
on 5/6/16 7:44 am

Hi I quickly scanned the answers and I didnt see where anyone specifically answered this.

A)Also, do we eat 2 ounce meals forever? Does it increase at some point?. Yes it does. Like around 6-8 months you will be eating about 3/4-1 cup food. But you have to heal and your NUT will work you up to that volume. You will stand closer to your surgeons support staff than you ever have before

B) Can we ever eat popcorn again?- Not unless you want to get your cravings for bad carb junk food back. 

C) I originally wanted the sleeve and my surgeon talked me out of it, and I'm really worrying that I made a huge mistake. What is done is done. Get your head in the game, follow your surgeons plan, drink your water, get your protein in, and start exercising when you can.  RNY is a great surgery that changed my life for the better and it can change yours to as long as you follow the directions and WORK for it.

Chances are, your surgeon had some really GOOD reasons for recommending RNY, such as acid reflux or needing to lose a larger amount of weight.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

mschwab
on 5/6/16 9:00 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Great to see you posting. Hope you are doing well!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Deanna798
on 5/6/16 7:47 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Weight loss stalls happen at all stages.  Once your body readjusts you'll lose weight in big chunks.  Like go for a few days without any loss and then BAM, down 3 pounds overnight.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

NYMom222
on 5/6/16 6:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

One week after surgery i stopped losing. I did everything right and it still lasted 3 1/2 weeks.it happens, think long term this is your life now, keep plugging along.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 536 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views