Question about low sugar/Hypoglycemia

ChrisSteak
on 5/23/16 4:31 pm
RNY on 02/20/15

So yesterday I kinda went off the rails with my eating. I ate quite a few homemade French fries and half a hotdog. This is the most carbs I've ever eaten at one sitting. About 2 hours later I started experiencing shakiness and general uneasiness. Just a feeling of being really unwell. In the past I have had something similar after eating something with too much sugar in it. I took 2 of my glucose tabs and ate a piece of cheese and a pepperoni stick and was much better within about 15-20 minutes. My question is: Can that many carbs affect me the same as too much sugar? I hadn't eaten in a long time and found myself stuffing the fries in like I wasn't even in control. Frankly it's kinda scared me a bit.

What would happen if I had one of these episodes and didn't have any of my glucose tabs or protein available to treat it? My bf is really worried that something bad will happen. Is it like a diabetic in that they can go into coma and die?

Thank you for you help.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/16 4:48 pm - CA

Sounds like you suffered from RH (Reactive Hypoglycemia)   This happens when you eat a lot of carbs and it can happen anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after you consume them.   

The Salty Hag
on 5/24/16 8:42 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Like Nik said, it was RH. Too many carbs can definitely do that. Luckily, it is easily controllable with diet. I started with RH at 2 years out and have to be very careful-it takes fewer and fewer bready, processed white carbs to cause an episode as the year has progressed.

It's similar to dumping, but I feel differently if I dump then I do when I have an RH episode. With dumping-for me, it happens within 20 minutes and I tend to have more gastric distress but without the panicky, desperate feeling, and don't develop brain fog. I feel overly warm with both, and break out into a sweat. I get too hot, then get too cold. With RH...it will happen a couple of hours later ( Though my last episode, it happened within 30 minutes, but it was not dumping ). I get panicky, shaky, I break out into a sweat, and I can't think straight. I've gotten to the point that I can't form thoughts or speak correctly. Scary stuff.

I haven't dumped in a LONG time; only actual sugar does that to me whereas too many simple, bready type carbs can send me into RH.

I would avoid glucose tablets. For me, that would put me into a cycle of RH/I feel better/Oh **** more RH!!! I will eat some cheese, and some lunchmeat or a few almonds. Some whole milk plain Greek yogurt and a small amount of cheese helped me the last time.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

HFA70
on 5/25/16 10:54 am

I am two and a half years out and I have had two episodes like the one you just described.  The second one was after eating honey garlic ribs.  I get sooooo hot and sweaty, confused, panicky, fog like, it was scary.  After reading and doing some research I have diagnosed myself as RH, I have been to the doctor, had blood work done and other things ruled out.  It is the obvious diagnosis.

I do encourage anyone who has something unusual to report to their doctor. 

I was relieved to read your reply though.

Take care.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 227 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views