Depressed candidate

Jaymebeth1
on 6/28/16 1:20 pm

I thought I could do this...I took an extra week thinking it would help prepare me for the three weeks of 4 shakes a day pre-surgery!  I am having such a hard time.  I just want to hide away from everyone.

I can't bare to see food, hear food, or be in public!  Anyone who successfully does this process deserves a medal ? I want to be successful ... But am so scared I'll fail, cheat or get my surgery postponed bc I cheated. Sorry, for venting. Just didn't know where to turn.

mschwab
on 6/28/16 2:25 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Deep breath.  You didn't say how long you have been on liquids, but I found that around day 4 it got much easier.  Carb detox is the worst of it.  I know this is hard, but it is worth it.  Hang in there.  You've got this!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Catek2652
on 6/28/16 2:31 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

Try tackling it either a week at a time or a day at a time. Four shakes a day will do a pretty good job of keeping you fed (that plus a lot of water between "meals". But, when we are used to using food to sooth our nerves or relieve stress, not having it to fall back on can be pretty stressful itself.

You can do this. It just a temporary situation and does not last for the rest of your life. Each stage seemed like it was going to be a big deal when I made the decision to have this surgery, but now I'm closing in on the final few months until I reach goal... I'm feeling like it's within reach and I've gotten pretty used to the food restrictions now.

You will be right behind me.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Ereiam
on 6/28/16 2:56 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

It's hard, not much else to say except that it is so worth it!

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

PulchritudinousGirl
on 6/28/16 5:51 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

This is hard but you can do hard things.  Try to come up with things you can do that will distract you from food.  Maybe make a list of things you can do and keep it handy.  Best of luck--- You GOT This!

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

CathyV
on 6/28/16 5:59 pm

That's so exciting though! When is your surgery? I am two months from tomorrow from my date, and so I am a little jealous, actually, lol. Of course, that's easy for me since I'm not living on shakes right now. Hoping this part goes quickly for you. Find something to absorb yourself in! A project, something to binge watch (not cooking shows!)

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/16 7:16 pm

It can feel like you are crazy at times. Take one day at a time. One shake at a time. 

Make a list of things that would be better having surgery. I know I always say that but it is true. 

You will feel so much better.

Take care and best wishes to you. 

We did not become obese by eating healthy. So there are a lot of changes coming. It does get easier. 

This is a great place to come for information. Also I great place to vent. Great place to come for support and give support. 

dog_hair_dinner
on 6/29/16 5:25 am
RNY on 03/01/16

your post brought back flashbacks of how I was desperate for carrot and celery sticks when I was on the pre-surgery shake diet.  Not a fun time.  

What got me through was knowing that I was shrinking my liver to make surgery easier for the surgeon and less risky for me.  I also thought of the pre-surgery diet as the end of my suffering and a minor alleviation from my obesity.  I knew that if I stuck to the shakes, I would lose weight and feel better.  I lost 11lbs on the shakes and that helped my clothes be a little looser, which helped me feel more comfortable.  The largest clothing size I could buy in my city was size 28 and that was tight before surgery, so I was uncomfortable all the time.  That little bit of weight loss was really relieving.

My husband brought home junk food a lot while I was on the shakes.  I felt angry and had to hide away in my room while he ate in the living room.  I was used to always sharing whatever he ate, but I realized it had to end then.  I realized that that's what was causing me to suffer with obesity.  As unhappy as I was being around people eating, I was more unhappy suffering as I was and knew that was I was doing and preparing for would be my only way out.

namedafteru
on 6/29/16 6:47 am

I had my surgery on Friday. The three weeks of shakes sucked.  I didn't cheat. I wanted to. I really really wanted to.  There were times when I had food in my hand and I would hold it and smell it and then I would put it back.  First day on optifast my boyfriend brought home pizza. Second day he had McDonalds. Instead of eating I walked and did strength training.   I have not had to use pain killers since Sunday afternoon. Probably didn't need them since Saturday but was being careful.  The nurses at the hospital were amazed at how soon I was up and walking and not struggling.  The nurses asked me what I had done pre surgery and I told them I didn't cheat and I exercised and they said that was probably what made my post surgery days much easier.  I had a hysterectomy in August and it was worse than this.  I didn't take care of myself before that surgery and I believe it made I difference for me. As hard as the prediet is not being in the pain and discomfort that was worth it for me now.  If I can do this, I know you can. 

Heather P.
on 6/29/16 10:10 am

That is one of the worst parts of all of this, but I have to say that within a few weeks after surgery I could barely even remember the pre-op diet phase.  It really is worth it and you will feel so proud that you did it!  When I tell people now about the pre-op diet they can't believe people have to do that and praise me for doing it.  Keep going forward and stay positive!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?