Help 5 days out from RNY

Jaymebeth1
on 7/24/16 12:31 pm

Happy Sunday crew... So I'm still not able to take the protein shakes.  I'm literally living on water, homemade popcicles and vitamins.  The energy drain I'm feeling is horrible!  I am a go getter, doer and now I'm stuck rushing home to lay down.  Am I the only one, if so what can I do.  

lizz122964
on 7/24/16 12:38 pm

You aren't able to tolerate protein drinks but what about Greek yogurt sugar free pudding cottage cheese. 

Jaymebeth1
on 7/24/16 1:54 pm

I'm not sure I'm allowed these things yet.  It's only been 5 days since the op?

lizz122964
on 7/24/16 1:59 pm

Did your surgeon give you a list of foods for each stage. I was on full fluids the day after surgery and could have these things. 

Jaymebeth1
on 7/24/16 2:52 pm

Yes, skim milk, water, watered down juice and broth - but with the lack of protein I feel gross ... Maybe I will try the Greek yogurt and cottage cheese! It sounds so much more appealing

lizz122964
on 7/24/16 5:43 pm

I really liked the Greek yogurt and cottage cheese plus they are both high in protein. Good luck, go slow. I'm 7 weeks post op tomorrow .If you need to rest make sure you do. 

Catek2652
on 7/24/16 12:56 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

You may find that freezing the protein shakes (works really well in one of those electri****cream makers) will make it easier for you to consume... you use a spoon, so it goes in very slowly. Or put it in an ice cube tray with a popsicle stick and just sort of nibble on it. ... I know the protein stuff they tried to feed me in the hospital was so sickening sweet I gagged on it and had to get my husband to bring in my own shakes which were not so sweet tasting after about 10 days (I had some complications so was hospitalized for 24 days before I could come home). After 10 days, they finally gave me an IV pic line and fed me that way, but I went 10 days with nothing but a few sips of water and IV vitamins, so don't panic yet, but do let your surgeon know of your challenges.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

wiccandove
on 7/25/16 9:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

have you tried protein powder in your water? GNC has a good one in a few flavors, whey isolate splash.

You are also only 5 days out from a major surgery. Your outside incisions are very minor compared to what they did to the insides and that takes a while to heal. I don't know what your schedule is like but maybe just take a bit to rest and not rush around?

Jaymebeth1
on 7/26/16 2:02 pm

Thx wiccandove  for your suggestion .. If this protein powder goes in water ... Does it just flavour it?  Interesting - I will check it out

wiccandove
on 7/26/16 2:57 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

http://www.gnc.com/Revolution-Nutrition-Whey-Isolate-Splash- Watermelon/product.jsp?productId=67676576

They have other flavors but I've only tried the watermelon and the Orange. The Orange tastes like tang lol. It has 24 grams of protein in one scoop. I usually do one scoop to 16 oz of water in one of those blender bottles and add ice. In the beginning it took me a whole day just to get down 16 oz but now I can do 32+ oz and at least I know I'm getting protein. I'm in Canada but I think all GNC are the same, if you don't like it you can return it.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 766 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 495 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 94 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?