Xpost- Instant Pot Thit Kho recipe and a IP group?

happyteacher
on 7/30/16 1:48 pm

This is a cross post from the Vsg boards. Thought some here might be interested- 

I have had a second person ask if I would be intereted in starting an Instant Pot (pressure cooker) group. Initially I thought it better to post on the main Vsg board so newbies could learn how helfpul the IP is for our diet. But if there is an interest (and it would spare cluttered posts on the vsg board) I would be happy to start a group. If you are interested either reply to the post or PM me.

Now for the recipe for those interested- Thit Kho is a vietnimese dish of carmel stewed pork traditionally served over rice. You could used riced cauiflower instead of rice to drop the carbs. There is sugar used in the caramel sauce. If you want to avoid that maybe substitute Waldon Farms Caramel sauce?? Anyway, it is actually easy- but requires some cook time in the IP.

2-3 Pounds Pork Butt roast (skin on ideally)

3 TB fish sauce (get it at Trader Joe)

1/2 onion sliced

2 tsp minced garlic

3 TB sugar

2 tsp oil

1 bottle Zico coconu****er (or similar brand)

8 hard boiled eggs, shells off (5 min high pressure, 5 min NR, 5 min ice bath- peels like a breeeze)

More water if needed to cover pork

Cooked white rice/riced cauiflower

Directions:

1. Cut pork into 2x6 inch slabs, leaving the fat on. Marinate at least 30 min up to overnight in the fish sauce, onion, and garlic.
  2. Cook and peel eggs. (I start this right before starting the next step and the timing works out Ok if you use 1 cup water, steam function, eggs on a trivet.)
  3. In a hot egg pan, cook the caramel sauce: add the sugar and oil. As the sugar melts swirl it around. It will turn toasty brown, then start to foam. Once it starts to foam it is done. Remove from heat. Once your IP is clean and dry from eggs, add caramel sauce back into the liner. 
  4. Add pork slabs with marinade into the pot. Lightly brown using the sautee function.
  5. Pour over 1 bottle coconu****er. Add enough regular water to cover the pork. You can omit the coconu****er, but there will be a little less flavor if you do. 
  6. Add in peeled and boiled eggs. Stir. High pressure 45 minutes, 15 min NR. Serve over rice.

I know it uses some sugar, but there is a lot of broth that goes with it. I am planning on not consuming the broth- just the meat and egg over riced cauiflower.  I got this recipe off of the Facebook group from a man *****cently posted a video on how to do it. If I can find the post I will come back and post the link. Enjoy!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cheapskate
on 7/30/16 6:00 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I would!!!  My IP terrifies me

happyteacher
on 7/30/16 8:54 pm

Roger that- 

There is a Facebook group that is incredibly helpful for newbies. Huge group, crazy active- but you can get questions answered nearly instantly. Many recipes floating around there are not so great for bariatric patients though... it will get you past the terror though! The Oh group here would share out tips and recipes suited for our needs=

Facebook group

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 8/1/16 4:36 pm

If you are intersted in joining the Instant Pot pressure cooker group please click on the link, then click the join button. Tips and recipes will be shared that support our goals in weight loss and beyond.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/action/search/?q=instant+po t 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 334 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 325 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 70 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?