tips on coping with moments of weakness or relapse?

Insert Fitness
on 8/25/16 4:32 pm

Well, My surgery is two weeks from today. Opti week 1 went well. Struggled a bit tonight. I made the mistake of preparing taco filling for a group camping trip this weekend. I was so tempted to have some. I didn't, but needless to say, I had to hide away from the kitchen with my serving of sugar free jello and log in here.

what are your strategies and tips to pull you out of the moment, to keep on track? Or how to keep yourself out of the moment so it doesn't happen in the first place?

So far, I've relied on checking out this site, or Instagram or mfp to distract me, but also remind me of what I'm trying to accomplish. I also do a bit of visualization. I think of something I'm not able to do now, and know I will in a year. 

Lovely_Caprice
on 8/25/16 4:52 pm

I totally get what you are saying.  I'm exactly in the same place - completed 7 days of Optifast today and my WLS is in 2 weeks.  I did great all week and tonight OMG it is driving me crazy.  I will follow the rules because this is the only chance I have to get this right.  To help me out, I keep a journal which I find helpful. Cheers!  You will be just fine.

karenp8
on 8/25/16 5:34 pm - Brighton, IL

I'm 4 years out and as I lost weight I made a list of non scale victories:experiences I did that I would never have done heavy and activities I can do now that I couldn't at 273. It still lives on my frig along with one of the two before pictures I had of myself. My surgery was the best decision ever. I lost 155 pounds and have now been the same weight for over 3 years. My high cholesterol and triglycerides are gone,my blood sugar is normal and my previously uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills is normal on one low dose pill. I went from a size 28 to a size 0 or 1. Every day is a struggle but I take it one choice at a time and keep reminders of where I have come from to keep me focused on the moment and the right choice at hand. Before and after to follow.

Insert Fitness
on 8/25/16 6:09 pm

Thanks so much! Having access to you folks who have experience post rny is so valuable! The Bariatric team I'm working with are great, but it's not the same as hearing from people with a shared experience!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/25/16 5:54 pm

A few. 

• Be prepared. If I cook food that I should not eat - I eat before I cook it. 
  • I always carry "legal" snacks in my purse, car...always. Typically I have 2-3 full size "snacks" inside my purse that I can turn into a "meal" if what is offered is not my gut friendly. I.e. serving of nuts. Jerky, etc. 
  • If I am not sure what is going to be served when I am invited to lunch/dinner- I eat before the meal and I bring my snacks...always. I often offer to bring a dish so I would be sure there is things there I could eat... 
  • Food that I may tempted to eat, but should not - I store up in the cupboards, or in the freezer in the garage, or in non trasparent containers inside the fridge- in the back on the shelf. If my SO wants potatoes - I cook that - just enough for his 2 servings - then put the second serving away almost imidiately. 
  • Cake - we have in the house. Frozen in portions in the garage freezer (wrapped in 5 layers..lol) . If he wants some - we take 1 portion out . 
  • I also make substitute foid for me - I bake protein muffins cookies, no grain - no sugar added desserts) (check eggface blog) http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com
  • Even though I don't think this is a good "food" I have at home SF preserves..so I can have 1-2 TBS with 1 TbS of PB...on my "fake bread"
  • He has milk chocolate - I eat 85% or higher dark chocolate. 
  • Chips - I use pork rinds with salsa or guacamole...

And so on... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Insert Fitness
on 8/25/16 6:11 pm

So many useful tips here! Thanks! Consider point number 1 a lesson learned!

Teena D.
on 8/26/16 4:56 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Lesson 1 and 2 are huge for me! Thanks

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

peachpie
on 8/25/16 6:04 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My non-food related distractions are: participating on this site and stalk Bariatric pal too. i search 'RNY' on Instagram pics. I'll read my surgery binder to not lose touch of basics. I don't like viewing Exercise as a distraction, cause you can't put off a distraction. Exercise is a necessity for me. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Insert Fitness
on 8/25/16 6:15 pm

Thanks! I haven't heard of Bariatric pal, I'll check it out! And you're right about excersize. Like committing to this way of eating, I've equally committed to staying active. For now, at least 30 minutes a day. Non negotiable. I've kept that up for the past 8 months ish. 

Behaviour is so strange. Once I decided there was no going back, there just wasn't.

Thanks again!

catwoman7
on 8/25/16 8:23 pm, edited 8/25/16 1:23 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

@peachpie   Ha!  I knew you were on BP!  I sent you a message there a couple of days ago.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 495 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 352 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views