Major complications after revision due to non-healing ulcers

princessjess73
on 8/28/16 7:48 pm - Lees Summit, MO

I had gastric resection on 8-15 for non-healing ulcers post rny 11/14.  I tried everything and was on max dose of Zantac 300 mg 4x day, Prilosec 49 mg bid and carafate 4x day. After 1.5 years it was imperative that my surgeon revise the gastrojejunostomy. I had also been vomiting and severely malnourished due to the issues. Fast forward to 8/15 for revision. Just out of surgery I knew something was wrong and I told them. My abdomen was much more painful and swollen and pain in an area I did not have incisions or surgery in the illeocecal area.  Over the next two days, a large lump was growing under the incision and told them. Wed I was discharged for a three hour drive homeand during the night I started to become febrile 101-102. Called surgeon's office and told to take pain meds and that a hematoma under the incision was normal despite my nursing assessment and knowing my body. I was told to call back on Fri if I kept running a temp. My temp rose over 103 with a 4x4 mass under my incision that was 2 in depth. I had a ct and was told to drive 3 hrs for readmission and I may have several abscesses. I saw my surgeon and he opened my incision and I had infection down to my fascia. I was started on antibiotics and told I would stay till Sunday at least. I still had pain in my lower right quad. Sat just 12 hrs later he sent me home bc I was afebrile and he had to go out of town to his mom's funeral. The next day took a huge turn as I could not move or stand without severe appendix like pain. He had told me that the pain was from possible infection when he pulled out the ulcerated small bowel with bileand bacteria deposited in my lower right quad. I called I call doc, told to go to ER. Had ct again and revealed abscess or phlegmon which is infection and inflammation. No area hospital wanted to treat me so I had to ride 3 hrs in ambulance and was admitted and treated for the infection for 4 days. I came home Thursday after my surgeon came back in town and just could not understand why I got worse after discharge. Bc of his cross contamination I ended up with 2 major infections and will take awhile for the phlegmon to clear. Thank God I am on the mend and starting to get a bit better each day.

Peanut15
on 8/28/16 8:51 pm

Prayers

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/28/16 9:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

OMG - Welcome back to the land of the living. Hope your healing continues, and that you find another surgeon to continue to work with.  Seems this one made a royal mess of an already bad situation.

Sharon

Karen R.
on 8/29/16 4:20 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/16 4:22 am

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Horrible ordeal.  

Hugs... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JaxLiving
on 8/29/16 4:39 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I am so sorry you had to go through so much! Praying that things get back to normal, and that you heal quickly! 

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

selhard
on 8/30/16 1:51 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

In 2012, I appreciated reading stories like yours when deciding to still make the giant leap of faith for WLS.  Thank you.  You must feel great relief to be on the mend.  Wishing you more than a bit better each day...many bits better.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/30/16 10:32 am

"Bc of his cross contamination I ended up with 2 major infections"

-Doctors bury their mistakes

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views