Hospital Stay

tracy O.
on 8/29/16 12:05 pm, edited 8/29/16 12:14 pm - shelby

Could anyone who has had a revision from VBG to RNY how long was the hospital stay ?

also does anyone know what pre-op steps you may have to go thru when you have a revision. Hoping I don't have to start from the beginning again but will if I have to.

thanks for any advise

VBG 2004 SW: 360   CW:260   GOAL WEIGHT: 150 - LOOKING INTO RNY

" LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS.....IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN "

rocky513
on 8/29/16 1:16 pm - WI

I revised from VBG to RNY because of mechanical failure.  My surgeon did not make me jump through any hoops.  My biggest fight was getting my insurance company to recognize that the revision was medically necessary. That took about 9 months.  I had a bunch of severe complications and the original surgeon mutilated my stomach to the point that my new surgeon could not even recognize what procedure was performed on me.  My revision was not the norm.  It was an open surgery and very complicated.  For that reason, I was in the hospital for over a week.

If it's a medically necessary mechanical failure, you should not have to start from the beginning.  If it is a revision just because you had regain, with no mechanical failure, they may make you start over.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

RJC5197
on 8/29/16 1:23 pm - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

I had a revision over 3 months ago, and everything went very well. (VBG was done 20 years ago)

It was done laparoscopic, and I was sent home 24 hrs. later.

The plan was to stay 2 days, but all went better than planned.

The Dr. did tell me from the beginning, that based on what he found after getting inside, he may have to open me up and that would have made me stay a week. He has done a lot of revisions and even though it took extra 2 hours to clear old lesions, I feel he and his staff really knew how to manage this.

Best to you

tracy O.
on 8/29/16 2:34 pm - shelby

I would like to thank both of you for the replies. I see my gastroenterologist tomorrow and he will let me if he going to refer me back to a bariatric surgeon.

I have stress incontinence

Sleep Apnea

High blood pressure

GERD

High cholesterol

and depression

have not really gained any weight just maintained around 250-260 but would like to get to onederland

VBG 2004 SW: 360   CW:260   GOAL WEIGHT: 150 - LOOKING INTO RNY

" LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS.....IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN "

rocky513
on 8/29/16 3:39 pm - WI

My GERD was so bad that I developed Barrett's Esophagus and had 6 tumors removed.  The acid was free flowing into my mouth, where I had acid sores the size of dimes.  I was told that if I did nothing I would have cancer of the esophagus in a few years.  Revision to RNY cured the GERD.  I still have to have a yearly endoscopy to make sure the lesions are not cancerous.  

I feel better than I have felt in 25 years.  I have been 15 pound below my goal weight for 6 years.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views