Think This Through Really Well

Jami1371
on 9/24/16 5:47 pm

I had my rny on July 7th and if I could go back, I never would have had it done. It has been nothing but being sick for me almost since day one. My husband finally took me to Mayo because my surgeon would only do a swallow test that he told me came back fine. I hadn't eaten anything in about 7 weeks because I was so nauseous. So he takes me to Mayo and they admit me and find that I have a stricture. I was so relieved that they found something but my happiness was short-lived. They said I would have to repeat the endoscopy maybe 1-3 times before the stricture would stay open. Well I had one week of feeling good and now I'm back to being sick again and waiting for the endoscopy appointment.  I wish I never would have had this stupid surgery. Please be sure you are ready before doing it.  You could have things go wrong like me. I don't think I will ever feel normal again. 

White Dove
on 9/24/16 7:13 pm - Warren, OH

I am sorry you are going through this.  Strictures can happen and often take two or three tries to get them to stay open.  I don't know why your surgeon missed it.  I hope this is soon resolved and you can get back to feeling well.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sunqueen15
on 9/24/16 7:14 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I can honestly say that I felt the same way until nearly 4 months out. I wasn't used to not eating. Food was my whole life. I still struggle with not being able to reward myself with food but I would never say "I wish I never had the surgery". It has helped me lose 71 lbs that I didn't need, my old love for clothes has returned, and I enjoy socializing and being physically active so much more now. If your docs aren't fearful of you starving, then focus on something you enjoy doing and not so much on the food intake. Stick to shakes like premiere for adequate protein and sip as much of those and water as you possibly can until you're back in for your endoscopy. Good luck to you and I'm positive your views will change when you start to see the drastic results of your surgery and your over all health and energy levels have improved :-) 

Laura in Texas
on 9/24/16 8:38 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I do believe people need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly before making their decision. I know surgeon skill and follow up care is extremely important. People need to research their surgeons thoroughly. But even when people find an excellent surgeon, problems can still occur. I know several people who had to travel to another state to see a different bariatric team. The Cleveland Clinic has an excellent record with hard cases. 

I hope the next endoscopy opens up your stricture. Keep fighting until you get relief. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views