Feeling frustrated

rackerlee
on 10/18/16 11:00 am
RNY on 08/23/16

Today I am 8 weeks out from RNY.  From surgery date until today, I have lost only 23.3 lbs.

While I was on the liquid and soft food diets, I didn't track my food.  However, for the past 3-4 weeks have been tracking everything and most days I consume 500 or fewer calories a day - most of which is protein.

I have been struggling with food, water and protein intake from surgery.  I found that I could not tolerate protein shakes, so (thanks to members here) have been using Isopure.  I drink about 1/4 to 1/2 bottle a day to help with protein intake.  However, this also is included in my calorie count.

At my 5 week check in, my doctor was disappointed in my lack of weight loss and suggested that I exercise more.  I've added more exercise to my days (with the exception of the last several days, as I have a recent bout of pneumonia).  I have not noticed any real difference in the amount of weight that I have lost - as a matter of fact it was less last week than previous weeks.

I am hypothyroid - not sure if this factors in, however, my doctor should know this.

I lost almost 50 lbs before surgery (February through my August 23 surgery date).  I did this via food tracking, drinking more water and very little extra exercise.

I am starting to feel like I should not have had the surgery and am very frustrated and depressed!  I am still making good food choices, but the frustration is making it a real challenge.

Just needed to rant - and of course - hope for some insight from all of you....

Thanks!

supershopper
on 10/18/16 11:06 am

If you are tracking and are under 500 calories- you will lose. Sometimes your body hold onto weight for a longer period of time. You can check my stats below. My weight did not fall off right after surgery and for alot of us it doesn't.

Exercise is great for your body but might not help much in your loss.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

CJ On Orcas
on 10/18/16 11:16 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I am almost 6 weeks out.  Have lost 25 pounds before surgery and 17 since.  Total of 42 pounds... frustratingly low for how much effort I have put in.  BUT from what I have gathered to date:  your age figures in.  Older people lose more slowly.  I have Type 2 diabetes and was on insulin for many years.  Slower weight loss there.  My surgeon said that some of the pre-op weight loss was jus****er weight.

The vets on this forum will tell you that everyone loses differently.  If you are getting your liquids in, your protein is up (greater than 60 grams daily) and your carbs are low you will eventually lose.  HANG IN THERE.  There are others in your same boat!

Track everything.  I use MFP and I post my menu daily on the "What's on your --- menu", and I get feedback to help me when I stray.  Look back through some of the previous days and see what others are eating... there are several of us "newbies" who are posting our daily menus (me included).

CJ On Orcas
on 10/18/16 11:18 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Oh and also... on what diet have you been on and lost weight that stayed off????? Me:  no diet ever.  I have not gained back a single pound of what I have lost so far.  Yay.

Sarahakers11
on 10/18/16 11:25 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I just wanted to chime in. 

Please don't let someone else's opinion on your weight loss undermine your own. You know what you are and are not doing.  Sometimes it goes faster and sometimes slower. I had several times when it just stopped all together.  I always think we should take measurement of our current exercise program and consider if its getting old or boring or routine or not as difficult and consider changing it up.  Maybe not more in the way of time or energy but maybe something a little different.

On another side note its not uncommon to feel depressed, frustrated, regretful, and a million other things through out the process. Many due to hormones being dumped into the system at a very high rate and also just because life is different and our old go to for solace has changed. 

Try to remember your feelings are valid but maybe not reality.  Be gentle with yourself. This is a lifetime change it doesn't happen overnight.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

pammieanne
on 10/18/16 12:22 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I am also hypothyroid, and 51yo. I've had steady good weight loss, but that's not the point. The point is you have to try to remember that this isn't necessarily a race to the end. I mean, yes, you have 12-18 months of optimum weight loss, but as long as you are eating RIGHT (no breads, pasta, potatoes, chips, crackers, etc)... protein FIRST (meats, eggs, cheeses), and good veggies sparingly (green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, etc) You will succeed!

Hang in there!

Have your thryoid levels checked (in depth) regularly... 

And know that you have lost over 70lbs that likely won't come back next week!!! You are SUCCESSFUL in this! Think like a loser, and be positive!

Are you drinking your water like you should? That always helps the scale more... drink 100oz for a couple of days, and I bet you'll see some movement 

And for the record, most of this I've learned being here... join us on the Menu post on the RNY board, and see what other's are doing to make them successful, and maybe you'll find something you're lacking?

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

hollykim
on 10/18/16 12:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, rackerlee wrote:

Today I am 8 weeks out from RNY.  From surgery date until today, I have lost only 23.3 lbs.

While I was on the liquid and soft food diets, I didn't track my food.  However, for the past 3-4 weeks have been tracking everything and most days I consume 500 or fewer calories a day - most of which is protein.

I have been struggling with food, water and protein intake from surgery.  I found that I could not tolerate protein shakes, so (thanks to members here) have been using Isopure.  I drink about 1/4 to 1/2 bottle a day to help with protein intake.  However, this also is included in my calorie count.

At my 5 week check in, my doctor was disappointed in my lack of weight loss and suggested that I exercise more.  I've added more exercise to my days (with the exception of the last several days, as I have a recent bout of pneumonia).  I have not noticed any real difference in the amount of weight that I have lost - as a matter of fact it was less last week than previous weeks.

I am hypothyroid - not sure if this factors in, however, my doctor should know this.

I lost almost 50 lbs before surgery (February through my August 23 surgery date).  I did this via food tracking, drinking more water and very little extra exercise.

I am starting to feel like I should not have had the surgery and am very frustrated and depressed!  I am still making good food choices, but the frustration is making it a real challenge.

Just needed to rant - and of course - hope for some insight from all of you....

Thanks!

what does a day's menu look like for you?

rackerlee
on 10/18/16 12:49 pm
RNY on 08/23/16

B:  1/2 container of oikos triple zero yogurt or 1/4 quest bar (not a favorite) or 1TBSP peanut butter on a piece of toast

L:  1 babybel w 2 TBSP ham spread or 1.5 oz diced ham and .5 oz cheddar cheese or 1 container oikos or 2 oz shrimp w basil pesto sauce

D: 2 oz turkey ricotta meatball w 2 TBSP pasta sauce or 2 oz haddock w 1 TBSP tartar sauce w. 1 ounce chicken wing and 1TSP bbq sauce or 2 oz mushroom chicken or 2 oz prime rib and 1 oz mushrooms

At first was able to tolerate eggs, but lately struggling with them.  I eat a LOT of cheese, turkey/ricotta meatballs and some sort of steak.

ladygodiva1228
on 10/19/16 4:26 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would ditch the toast and any type of carby grain foods.  Watch the cheese those calories add up quick. 

You lost a good amount of weight before your surgery so 20 something lbs after 8 weeks is nothing to sneeze about.  Your surgeon seems to have high expectations of his patients which really isn't fair.  We all lose at a different pace.   

Make sure you are tracking and measuring/weighing everything out. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

supershopper
on 10/19/16 5:00 am

I second that on the toast and bbq sauce (unless sugar free) along with tarter sauce.

you are really early out to be eating the carbs and I stayed as far away as possible.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 275 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics