Cheated :(

wannabesupermomm
y

on 10/21/16 8:07 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Cheated on my Pre-Op liquid. 2 days in a row. Mentally flogging myself now. 

Starting to really panic about surgery. Ugh. How do people get through this :( 

RNY w/ Dr. George Fielding @ NYU 10/25/2016

LBL, BL, MASTOPEXY, FLANKPLASTY, BRACHIOPLASTY w/Dr. Joseph Capella @ Hackensack 07/11/2018

Stay tuned!

Karen9849
on 10/22/16 3:38 am

You can't change the past so don't dwell on it.  What you did is bad and dangerous for your surgery.  You need your liver to shrink so that they can do the surgery.  If it has not shrunk enough, they will close you up and send you home.  Today is a new day, put your big girl panties on and suck it up.  The only way to get through it is sheer determination.  Think how awesome your life is going to babysit afterwards.  You can do this.....

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

Dougleaffan
on 10/22/16 4:09 am, edited 10/21/16 9:10 pm - Canada

I am on day 9 post op. Try to use sf flavours I used mocha in the vanilla and caramel in my chocolate but made them way better. The surgeon said that it makes a huge difference in regards to the surgery. You can do it. Focus on one drink at a time don't look long term. 

Surgery10/14/16

HW/398. preOpti/368. SW/338

CW/197.5

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/16 4:52 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

Find a few things you can have that you only allow yourself each evening.  For me that is Crystal Light Cherry Pom and cherry tomatoes. I really look forward to that each night.  For me that really helped. I'm on day 47 out of 50 pre-op.  Surgery is Wednesday.  The weight melted off during this phase, so take advantage of it to make surgery easier. 37+ lost in the 47 days.  Good luck

C. Lauer
on 10/22/16 4:55 pm - Lauderdale by the Sea, FL

First of all CONGRATULATIONS  on your decision to take this journey -- I say journey because it is a long one -- one with many choices and challenges along the way.  Some of the choices we make are easy at the time and good ones and and others (the difficult ones) we rationalize  to fit the situation -- but in reality if we had made good food choices in our life (especially with food) we wouldn't find ourselves in the situation we are now in.  

The pre-op preparation is the hardest and takes the greatest will to succeed but it is the most important for our well being. The pre-op prep helps minimize the risks to us while undergoing this surgery and it's recovery process. The preop program gets your body ready for surgery.  The most important thing in this part of the program is the weight loss prior to surgery. The weight loss reduces the fat around in and around the liver.  This reduction in liver size allows your surgeon to access the stomach (the stomach lies under the liver)  to perform the surgery but it also indicates to your surgeon just how dedicated YOU are to this process.  It is vital that you do your best to help your surgeon help you get the best possible results!! 

Even though some of the decisions are hard ones in the long run it is soooooooo worth it to make a decision that is on program!! So how do you  do that?   Everyone is different, different situations, different experiences, different responsibilities but there is a path to this destination!!

Large Goals vs Sub-Set Goals

Large goals seem impossible to attain, so I recommend breaking them down into smaller easier sub goals to guarantee  success.  You may have to use daily goals, sometimes that is too big, so shorten the time frame it could be a five or ten minute time period.  Don't beat up on yourself -- do what it takes to have a successful outcome.  

It may take removing yourself from a situation that is difficult to stay on track.  Removing yourself may be going into a different room, getting on the computer, coming to this website or changing activities.

If you have to prepare food for others, chew some sugar free gum while preparing meals, it is hard to taste food when gum is in your mouth.  Try to prepare program approved foods for your family so the temptations in the house are minimized if you must taste, remember to include it in YOUR food consumption.  If this is too difficult, ask another family member to prepare foods for the rest of the family -- as a last resort send them out to eat.  And lastly ask them to please help you out and not to eat in front of you.

In those really difficult times try to do anything other than eating -- drinking water, going outside for a walk, take your dog for a walk -- maybe even taking a lap on a piece of exercise equipment or going up and down a flight of stairs - even if it is for just a minute -- go on line and finish surfing the internet!! Feel free to seek help right here - anything is better than giving in to our former lifestyle.  

There are so very few doctors who find the Morbidly Obese population worthy and we as a community need to be so grateful for them.   Your surgeon knows (by your weight loss and BMI scores) if you followed the program or not.  Rationalizing an off program choice or bite of food is an indication of your dedication to this program. 

If by chance you don't meet these pre-surgical goals, your surgery may be rescheduled or worse yet your doctor may not approve you as a candidate for this surgery.  Remember the surgical procedure is a tool -- not a fix and our adherence to the program is the determining factor in the success of any WLS program.  

I cheated during the weight loss portion (two crackers) and my surgeon told me in no uncertain terms, "I didn't do your surgery for you to eat crackers!"  I felt so bad I didn't cheat again during my weight loss period.  I'm not perfect but no one can swallow the food that goes into my body other than me.   So I made each bite of food a decision -- I wanted to go down the shortest road possible to my destination.  I wanted what was on the other end -- and being a normal sized person is something I thought wouldn't be possible and now it is my reality.   It is amazing to open my closet and be able to select any piece of clothing -- not hope I can button or zip the pants or shirt I would like to wear!!  I've now been normal sized for fifteen years.   The WLS program was the fourth time I lost 100 pounds --  I lost 139 with my WLS and able to maintain being a normal sized person!!  It all starts with the decision to have surgery and the many decisions on the way to the destination!!!!

I encourage you to try to make every swallow of food a choice and hopefully it will be a choice along the right road (your surgeon's program) to success.  There is no food that tastes better than thin feels!!!!   

Like I said before, the pre-op is the most difficult, after surgery there are tools in place that will make your decisions easier and you will begin to see the result you seek -- weight loss!!  The first few weeks are what they call The Honeymoon Period and they are right --  It is this time  that you will begin to make the changes in your lifestyle that will carry you thru your program.  Take the time to develop a good relationship with your program and ultimately your future.

This journey is a road of many choices, some much easier than others.  You've made an incredible decision and let me tell you ---

YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!  

YOU DESERVE TO BE HAPPY, HEALTHY AND A NORMAL SIZED PERSON!!!

We on this site have walked in your shoes and are here to help you --- I am sending you all my best wishes for a successful journey and should you ever need an encouraging word -- I'm just a message away!!!!  God Speed and Incredible Success in your journey!!!!!

lizz122964
on 10/22/16 5:21 pm

Well said, congratulations on 15 years. I am 4 1 /2 months post op and have lost 73 lbs you are a inspiration  Thankyou for posting and sharing your knowledge and expertise to us newbies. 

Eggface
on 10/22/16 5:21 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I think it helps to remember the why's... 

You want to stick to the liquid because it helps the surgeon's tools have more room to maneuver around your organs, avoiding nicking something and delaying your healing.

and remember why you are having weight loss surgery... alleviate health issues, make moving easier, play with your kids more, whatever your why's are... make a list and when you need to... look at it... eyes on the prize.

You got this... keep busy, clean out a closet, trunk of your car, here's a few ideas...  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2006/11/50-th ings-to-do-instead-of-snacking.html 

Best wishes!!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Loril1963
on 10/23/16 7:29 am
RNY on 10/28/16

I'm in the same boat as you, I am having surgery this Friday October 28, and I have cheated on my 2 week optifast diet.  But I can't change the past, neither can you. Today we make smart choices and keep going. Good luck, you got this. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 198 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?