Things done and Question

Terri70
on 10/24/16 12:12 pm

I had my follow-up for the psych eval and it went well. He said I'm okay but wants me to start counseling to work on my stress eating. To be honest I didn't realize that's what I did! Talking to him today and telling him about the past, well it really hit me. The good thing is, the counselor that specializes in eating disorders that I was seeing, I can start going to her again. I stopped because she didn't take me reimbursable card. BUT now that my Out-of-Pocket has been met I won't have a fee. YAY! I have a follow-up visit with the Psych on December 23rd.

I'm really starting to get more and more appts that I have to take off work for. I'm debating on telling my main boss the reason I'm having so many doctors appt's is because I am preparing for surgery in April or May. I don't want to tell him what kind of surgery though so I'm not really sure how I'm going to approach him. Any ideas? Also, should I go ahead and file for FMLA that will protect my job during all this? Do you know? Can I file it 6-7 mos before surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/16 12:40 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

My work wouldn't allow me apply for the leave until exactly 30 days pre-surgery.

peachpie
on 10/24/16 1:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

HR Manager here...  Though you technically can--I would not file for FMLA this early. FMLA is for care of a serious health condition-- it can be easily argued that obesity is a serious health condition, and when you require medical treatment for the condition numerous times-- its an FMLA qualifying event (intermittent FMLA). That being said- I'd save the FMLA time for post surgery best you can. If you think your job is at jeopardy b/c of the appointments- then seek it early. But I'd want as much time as possible afterwards in case something goes wrong. 

I told my boss at the time of surgery- because she was a good friend and I could trust her with the information. I would not tell my current if I were in the same situation. I'd leave it as a general surgery with no further explanation. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Wingsxoxo
on 10/24/16 8:22 pm
RNY on 10/19/16

My FMLA was only filed a few days BEFORE surgery. ( I had surgery less than a week ago)

Do you have an occupational nurse with your employer? Because that's who my doctor's Assistant filed the papers with.

It was a very smooth process for me, I was blessed.

( now if I could just getting my eating and water on track ) It shocks me to find out how difficult it isq

Catek2652
on 10/25/16 9:03 am
RNY on 10/26/15

In relation to the stress eating. I didn't realize how the stress affected me after I retired (because most of my stress was from work issues), then my youngest son moved back home very depressed and upset. I actually caught myself sneaking an extra handful of pork rinds and thought, "wow, you haven't felt like this in a long time and why are you trying to hide this? Are you hungry or is it head hunger?" I put the pork rinds back in the bag and went and drank some water instead. But I was amazed at how quickly the old bad habits came back when I was stressed. (My son, on the other hand, stops eating completely when he is stressed, so we are trying to get him to counseling because he is a good 20 pounds underweight at this point and looks terrible). He was in a terribly, mentally abusive relationship and I want to just choke that woman and her mother. I feel so badly that he kept so much from us for so long. I'm also grateful that he woke up one day and walked away and that we have the ability to take him back for now until he can afford to get his own place. It hurts my heart to see him in so much pain. We are trying to convince him to consider counseling again and I'm trying not to be the control freak that is trying to make him eat.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404