Snacking between meals ? Late night snacks?

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/16 11:21 am

I often catch myself looking for something to taste even when I'm not hungry. I am a few years post op and though I recognize it as addictive behavior but can't help wondering ... My weight is pretty much staying the same so could I actually be hungry on some level I'm not feeling as hunger ? 

I eat very low fat and very high bulk ... Lots of veggies and good carbs ( which do tend to make a blood sugar rebound like that old saying about Chinese food - that you're hungry a half an hour later.) 

When I eat vegetarian meals like rice and lentils with Indian spices I particularly tend to go back a few hours later for another bowl ... 

What do you guys think - healthy or not ? How are your snacking habits ? 

The Salty Hag
on 10/26/16 11:40 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My meal plan is 5-6 small meals a day with an emphasis on protein forward eating. I eat a diet of meats, cheeses, dairy, and non-starchy veggies and keep processed, white carbs, rice, and even whole grains to a bare minimum. I don't shy away from fats. I don't eat any kind of fruit because it makes me sick. I drink tea and coffee sweetened with Splenda and have alcohol no more than 3 times in a month.

I eat about every 3.5 hours when I'm awake. I usually end up with 4 decent sized ( for RNYers ) meals a day.

Eating dense protein and moderate fats keeps me satiated for hours. Carbs, especially those like in rice, would have me hungry again too soon.

I'd ditch the rice and add proteins and fats if I were in your shoes.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

mute
on 10/26/16 12:13 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Everyone's plan is different so you'll get totally different answers. What works for me is a protein shake when I get up, lunch and then dinner. Then I have a snack around 8. The only thing that matters is if I'm within my calories for the day and that makes a difference as to what I have for a snack - a larger one or a smaller one, and obviously if I'm hungry or not.

Sometimes I get a little hungry during the day and I either drink water, chew gum or I have a sugar free hard candy that is 20 calories - and I count that in my calorie count as well.

I don't stress out about snacks as long as I am not eating like 7 times a day and as long as I am within my calorie range. That's what is working for me so far. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/16 1:31 pm

Ava? you created a new account? 

If you forgot the password to your other 2 or 3 accounts - OH can help you restore them. 

Just trying to help....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MonaLisaSmile
on 10/26/16 1:35 pm - Canada

I believe eating small amts every couple hrs is a good practice. I often especially in the beginning stages would eat every couple hrs if I was hungry or not.  I find if I let it go too long,  I either loose all want for food or get ravenously  hungry and can easily eat too much,

I would however make your choices more protein based than vegetable (carb)

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Gina 21 Years Out
on 10/26/16 4:52 pm - Burleson, TX

Your flowers are beautiful, as always. Why did you cover up your beautiful face???

To answer your question, I TRY to PLAN my meals and snacks, with emphasis on protein first. I limit refined carbs, and have made friends with healthy fats

I am over 14 years post RNY, and at goal, so I guess what I do is working for me!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 372 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 500 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 123 views