Will RNY tank my metabolism?

Lex_Lee
on 12/3/16 7:58 pm
RNY on 12/06/16

Hi guys?

I have always been told that eating to few calories will cause your metabolism to slow down. I have read that your metabolism can be affected long term from eating disorders where to few calories are consumed. I read an article that followed up with the winners of the show "The Biggest Loser" years after the show. They found their basil metabolism rates were significantly lower than they should be and concluded it was due to the severe restriction of calories on the show and during their significant weight loss period.

So... am I going to tank my metabolism permanently after RNY? I'm worried. I am and have been an athlete who is also a compulsive eater. I want to keep a healthy metabolism and stay super active in the long term.

side note- I love salads and vegetables- LOVE. I would hate it if I couldn't enjoy those anymore. Do a lot of people have problems with vegggies?

catwoman7
on 12/4/16 7:13 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I can't answer your first question.   I'm 18 months out and average about 1200 kcal a day.  I'm pretty active and am still losing weight, albeit slowly.  I suspect "maintenance" for me may be about 1500 kcal, but I don't know for sure (not quite there yet).  Not sure if that's because my metabolism has slowed or if it's just that I'm much smaller now - maybe a little of both - but that amount of calories seems reasonable to me, so I'm not alarmed.  I do remember a dietitian telling me years ago that if you have two people who weigh the same (same height, etc) and one was formerly obese and the other was never obese, the formerly obese person has to eat c. 200-300 kcal a day less to maintain the same weight as the never-obese person.  Not sure if it's decreased metabolism or if we former heavyweights are just super efficient at using and storing our calories or what  (btw - I'm a 5'6" female)

second question:  I eat veggies and salad all the time. The first few weeks and months are tough, and some things don't sit well, but after about the first six months most people can tolerate most things pretty well.  So you may have trouble with them at first (esp salads and fresh vegetables) -but you'll probably be able to enjoy them again.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Lex_Lee
on 12/4/16 4:42 pm
RNY on 12/06/16

Thanks so much for the msg!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/4/16 7:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

RNY helps restore wrecked metabolism. technically ,  it is "bariatric and metabolic surgery." Being morbidly obese is what destroyed our metabolism, not losing weight.

You won't be able to eat salad or raw veggies for a few months after surgery, but then they'll be fine. But remember, there is very little nutrition in a salad, and with a tiny stomach, you need to prioritize protein first. Besides, for most people, salad is just a salad dressing delivery vehicle.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lex_Lee
on 12/4/16 4:44 pm
RNY on 12/06/16

Thanks for the reply! I've seen your replys on other topics-you are well informed. I'm new to this so I really appreciate the info and input.

Dundreggen
on 12/4/16 8:14 am - Canada

To add to what Grim said.

The findings/hypthosis from the Biggest Loser was NOT that low calories made them need less calories at maintenance.  But having been morbidly obese did.

This surgery fixes many metabolic issues. 

The information isn't quite all there yet, but we don't lose weight on this due to the super small portions, or at least that isn't the main fuction, though I suspect it helps with maintenance.  If simply a small stomach worked then the band would work as well as the RNY, and it doesn't.  This surgery has an interesting impact on hormones and how our body deals with hunger, fat burning, and hormones.  (Ok well the hormones are responsible for the fat burning and the hunger..)

I suspect the smaller pouch helps people stay on track once our bodies have caught on to the changes and start adapting.

FWIW My personal experience with very low calorie eating previously was very different.  I lost 60 pounds by going down to 600 cal a day, as that was what it took to make the scale move.  I was miserable.  Hungry, tired, lethargic etc.

I am 2 weeks out of surgery.  Lucky if I get 600 in a day but not hungry, miserable and have reasonable energy levels.  If it tanked our metabolism we would all be tired and hungry.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Lex_Lee
on 12/4/16 4:46 pm
RNY on 12/06/16

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! :)

RJC5197
on 12/4/16 3:56 pm - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

Following the plan and gettng in proper amount of protein will be critical in maintaining as much muscle as you can during weight loss phase.

Also getting in exercise and resistance work will support improved metabolism.

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/16 7:56 pm

Hi,

I'm not a doctor or a scientist.  

I'm 6 weeks out.  My assumption is that my metabolism is slowing down.  Otherwise on 700-900 calories a day I'd end up at 50 pounds.  With RNY it doesn't matter.  Your stomach is so small you won't eat much.  You will lose weight if you follow the program, slow metabolism or not.

Try not to compare RNY surgery to diets.  This isn't a diet.  It's. in my surgeon's words, "totally rearranging your insides to make it work to keep weight off."

6 weeks in I can eat salads and vegetables every day!  Actually I've been eating veggies, albeit ground, from about a week in.

Jeff

NYMom222
on 12/4/16 10:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

As others have said the salads and raw veggies maynot agree with you for awhile but after 6 months most people are doing well in that are. 

I just had my Resting Metabolic Rate done  a few days ago. I am considered having a high metabolism.... my base was 2075 calories and up to 2900 with normal daily activities and a ½ hour of moderate exercise. 

I eat about 1600-2000 calories most days but only ate initially 550-700 then up to 750-950 for most of my loss. So my metabolism didn't tank. Still trying to figure out maintenance. 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 483 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 185 views