Hey Yall, I'm new here.

Nikki B.
on 1/18/17 8:18 pm, edited 1/19/17 2:48 am

Hey everyone.

I just turned 33 and I am at the beginning of this process. I just found out today that my insurance company will cover the surgery but I have to go through 6 months of meeting with a nutritionist monthly first. I did the seminar thing with the surgeon today and I go next Thursday for my first appointment with the surgeon/dietician.

He recommended this website so I could learn all I could as well find support from people who truly understand.

If anyone has any advice/do's or do not's please share with me!! Thank you!

I'm thankful to be here and looking forward to getting to know yall better! (sorry, I tend to say "YALL" a lot ... I'm from Louisiana!)

Nikki

Sleeved on 3.27.17 5'7" HW: 359 SW: 335.8 CW: 257 GW: 140

I am an extremely proud Momma & Blessed Wife from South Louisiana.

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 9:00 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

Hi Nikki!

I'm relatively new here also and still trying to figure out some of my do's and don'ts but I have to say that everyone here is so nice and super helpful! I will share some of the things that I have learned so far in my 6 weeks post-op though. My doc didn't give me much info so I've been turning to everyone here for help but this is what I know so far:

no drinking 30 min before or after eating. Meals should last 20-30 min. Protein is the most important (just learned that today). I was also told that you lose the most weight in the first year so make the most of it as soon as you can as far as eating right and exercising regularly. Avoid alcohol, sugary beverages and carbonated beverages. Also limit caffeine.

physical activity is important. Getting your vitamins and minerals in is important. Drinking at least 64 oz of water is a must. The way your body processes medication is different after surgery (I don't know all of the details but one of my doctors did advise me of this so it's a good idea to check with your doc about this) I would have never known that if somebody didn't tell me. 

My own personal note would be that it's a good idea to make sure that your partner/family is onboard and prepared to handle the changes that will take place as far as eating and meal planning, mood swings (at least for me haha), what you can and cannot do after surgery etc. and being as supportive as possible to you. 

I know there's tons more but, like I said, I'm still pretty new. Everyone is so helpful here though and really great about answering questions!

Nikki B.
on 1/18/17 9:08 pm

Thank you so much for all of that info! I am going to gather everything I should know and keep it together. 

Good luck on your journey!! 

catwoman7
on 1/18/17 9:01 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

welcome!   The best thing you can do at this point is read everything you can - including coming to this site every day and reading through the postings.  I learned a ton from this site!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Nikki B.
on 1/18/17 9:09 pm

Thank you so much!! I have already started and certainly will continue reading all that I can!

Nikki

Sleeved on 3.27.17 5'7" HW: 359 SW: 335.8 CW: 257 GW: 140

I am an extremely proud Momma & Blessed Wife from South Louisiana.

Doxie-mom
on 1/18/17 9:35 pm
RNY on 03/13/17

Welcome Nikki.  I am pretty new here also, I agree with the other postings, come here and read read read, there is so much information on this site.  You can search for specific answers to questions, and if you are unable to find answers everyone here is great about helping you.

Tammy

HW: (9/28/16) 369.8 / SW: (3/13/17) 285 / CW: 162.8

Pre-op loss (6 1/2 Months) - 84.8 pounds

M1 - 17.2, M2 - 17.2, M3 - 13.4, M4 - 15.4, M5 - 13.8, M6 - 13.6, M7 - 10.8, M8 - 9.6, M9 - 5.0, M10 - 2.4, M11 - 3.8

Brandi Girl
on 1/19/17 5:09 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Welcome! Come a lot, post a lot and read a lot! All the great info will come in handy no matter what phase you are in during your process. 

chris_ruff
on 1/19/17 5:40 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

welcome. the people on this site have been the single most informative and important source of info and support for me since day 1.

--Christina
chassibi
on 1/19/17 6:10 am

Welcome! Like you--my insurance required a wait. Mine was 3 months, but ended up being more like 5 before I had surgery. I recommend you posting and reading on the daily menu thread starting now. Especially if your surgeon requires monthly weigh-ins and weight loss. It helped me form the accountability and the habit up front and taught me SO much. I saw how people who had been successful for years did this life--and that has been much more valuable than what I've learned from my surgeon's office/program.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

rackerlee
on 1/19/17 6:57 am
RNY on 08/23/16

Welcome Nikki!

I am not a veteran.  I am almost 5 months out from my RNY. 

My insurance also required that I meet with a nutritionist monthly for 6 months prior to surgery.  And like many others, I ended up closer to 8 months before my actual surgery.

At the point that you are at now, my best advice is to use this time before surgery to begin changing your eating habits.  Start logging everything you put in your mouth, weigh your food, get in your liquids, try to stop caffeine and carbonated beverages.

My doing those steps I listed above, I was in a pretty good "head space" when I finally had my surgery.  I'm not at all saying it makes it easy, because my first few months were rough - mostly because I couldn't eat or drink the amounts that were expected.  With that, though, also know that it takes approximately 12 weeks for your new tummy to heal.  Sometimes it is hard to remember that.  Almost like magic, at 11 or 12 weeks, I could eat the amounts of protein and liquids that are expected.

Also, don't compare your weight loss to others.  I am a "slow" loser, but overall have been pretty consistent.  As long as I am accountable to logging everything and eating protein forward, I know that I am doing what I need to do.

As others have said, read the posts, listen to the advice from the vets, and try to stay positive!

Best of luck~

Rhonda

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?