SALAD difficulty...anyone?

NasaJen
on 1/19/17 9:45 am
RNY on 12/09/16

I have been craving a salad like crazy!!!  I'm just wondering if anyone ever eats a salad or if the fiber is too much or the lettuce doesn't sit well, etc.  I know the portion I can have is super tiny only being 6 weeks out.  I"m just curious as to if this is a thing that people still eat.  My papers from Surgeon don't say anything about salad.  Just protein first, which I am always trying to do!

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

CJ On Orcas
on 1/19/17 9:48 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I was not on salads by six weeks, still on soft foods.  I did (and do) crave veggies and salad, but I am supposed to get my protein in beforehand, and usually that fills me up.  Amazing how salads take on a new look after rny ;)

NasaJen
on 1/19/17 9:56 am
RNY on 12/09/16

Im wondering if it isn't the salad as much as the tartness from the dressing that I'm craving.  Trying to think of what it truly is that I want.  Its not the lettuce, I think its the dressing.  

In time I guess.  Thanks for the response!

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

CJ On Orcas
on 1/19/17 10:18 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I think for me what I crave is the crunch of veggies.  I can have them totally without dressing, just need a little salt.  Sometimes I will have 5 or 6 baby carrots just with just some salt.  Fills me up so much...

CathyV
on 1/19/17 10:19 am

What kind of dressing? You could use it as a dip for meat maybe?

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 9:56 am
RNY on 09/22/16

Protein, protein, protein! And then, more protein!

Ceci

CathyV
on 1/19/17 10:17 am

I was only allowed soft foods until 3 months out. At that point I tolerated salads really well.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Miss Liss
on 1/19/17 10:20 am

I am 13 years out from my RNY surgery now, and salads are a regular staple in my diet.  They were not in the beginning.  The first year out from surgery, I could not do salads for several reasons.  First if all, they were hard on my new tummy.  I found them difficult to digest and was often left with a miserable tummy ache.  Also, it is so important to get the protein in; so I found I had no room for salad if I was going to get my protein numbers in for the day.  Salads can also be full of calories we don't need either during that losing phase, depending on the toppings and dressings that you use.  I learned to love vinegarette dressings and steer away from the fattening toppings on most salads and not use the cream dressings.  A lot of what you will and won't be able to eat is going to trial and error.  Being only 6 weeks out, you may want to wait a little longer on trying salad.  Salad wasn't on my doctors plan that early out.  You may want to call your surgeons office and get them to clarify what their plan protocol is for salad.  It's always hard finding things to eat in those early days.  Good luck to you. 

Amy Liz
on 1/19/17 10:51 am
RNY on 11/21/16

I craved salad too, still do all the time as I used to live on big salads. I was allowed lettuce at 4 weeks (didn't realize that until about 6 weeks). I've used about 1/4 cup of chopped lettuce w/meat and a little dressing. They were really good and didn't bother me except they filled me up a lot faster. Protein is an issue for me right now, so I am avoiding veggies.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 11:14 am, edited 1/19/17 3:22 am
RNY on 10/26/16

I was cleared for Salads at about 2 months, as tolerated.  I was thankful I tolerated them very well.  And while I get the protein, protein, protein chant.  Let's remember that a cup of lettuce with a few tomatoes or other small veggies totals about 25 calories (about 6 carbs).  I make mine with a tablespoon of mustard and a splash of apple cider vinegar.  Yummy.  I usually mix my protein in with it.  I really miss that this week.

I just looked it up in my My fitness Pal.  My salads average 40 calories (8.5g carb, 1g protein).  That includes my mustard dressing I make.  Pretty much my veggie intake for the day.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 352 views