Surgery monday jan 23 at 530 A.M and im nervous

Beautifullee
on 1/22/17 10:05 am
RNY on 01/23/17

My surgery is in the morning January 23, 2017 .My family is coming but they keep saying i shouldnt get it and its the  easy way out . Im nervous to the point i even wrote a will . My ekg was abnormal but the cardiologist still cleared me but he ordered an ultra sound but results wont come back til after my surgery .. Is it normal to be this nervous .. Im 24 279 pound diabetic hypertension and my heart rate  was 130.

The Salty Hag
on 1/22/17 11:34 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It's a life changing surgery, and it's completely normal to be nervous.

Please make sure you tell the staff at the hospital about your results and see what they say. In all likelihood, they know what is going on with the results and still feel you're okay for surgery, but you owe it to yourself to mention it. 

As for your family, you'll have to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves. This is your life, not theirs. Shut them down the minute they start the "easy way out" drivel. 

We have to be our own advocates in every single instance. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Karen9849
on 1/22/17 11:45 am

It's perfectly  normal to be nervous.   I almost  called  mine off the morning  of the surgery.   I'm so oooo glad I dident.   I am 4 months post op and 10 pounds from my goal of 125 lbs.  I no longer take any meds except my thyroid  pill and vitamins.  And it's not the easy way out, you will work your whole life to maintain you loss.  You won't regret it.

Update us when you can so we know how you did.

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

CJ On Orcas
on 1/23/17 8:38 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Karen!  I remember when you were waffling and almost called it off.  Aren't you glad you didn't.

Karen9849
on 1/23/17 3:08 pm

Yes, I am so glad I did it.  At 4 months I'm  10 lbs from goal.

Best thing I ever did for myself.  How are you doing Cheryl, I hope your feeling much better.

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/17 1:20 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

I was nervous, but found that the day of surgery I was oddly relaxed.  Maybe it was the nurses.  I just started joking with people as they came into the prep area and I had a good time.  It really is okay.  You'll do fine.  Good luck.

NYMom222
on 1/22/17 1:38 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It is normal to be nervous. I was afraid I would die too. My doctor hadn't had anyone die in 4000 surgeries... what made me think I was going to be the first?

My ekg was abnormal too....and I went for additional testing. There are all kinds of 'abnormal' we immediately go to the worst place out of fear. If they felt having those results were necessary first they would have postponed it. No cardiologist is going to put their a** on the line and sign a clearance just for your convenience.

Under the cir****tances with diabetes and hypertension at 24 it sounds like you are making the right decision.

Tell your family you have made your decision, and need their support not negativity. Don't let them see the fear... it is OK to bringit here. There will be lots of ups and downs in the next couple of weeks and months they won't understand, they can't possibly understand-they didn't have surgery. Support is so important.

Good Luck tomorrow and keep us posted.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

WW0747
on 1/22/17 2:58 pm
RNY on 08/01/16

Nerves are normal. Make a playlist to help keep you calm. Think about life now and life after weight loss. Imagine all of the activities you will be able to enjoy. Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

CathyV
on 1/22/17 3:43 pm

absolutely normal...I'm just five months out and I was very secure in my decision...I still had a case of last minute nerves. First, your family, haha! I would say, "If it's the easy way out, why don't you want me to take it? What do you have against the easy way out of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension exactly?" And it's not an easy out. It's not. It just makes it possible. You will still work your can off to reach your goal, trust me. 

All those scary health conditions just confirm that you need to do this! These things will improve, and quickly! It's going to be ok. Go to bed early, do whatever brings you peace this evening (and talk to whomever brings you peace). Check in as soon as you can and let us know how you are doing on the other side! You got this!!

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

supershopper
on 1/22/17 3:45 pm

I'm going to be as real with you as possible.

Being nervous is normal, but you are are in complete control of what you allow your family to say to you and how it impacts you. Do not invite the conversation if it is going to be negative. I was 295 at my highest and was heavy from age 5. You can and will succeed if you want to. this board and the vets are a godsend.

this surgery saved my life- I did it to save my life, not to be a skinny person. I've added 5-10 or more years to my lifespan. I had HBP, PCOS, restless legg syndrome, fatty liver, nash liver disease,sleep apnea. All of which are now resolved and off all of those meds.  Also-You need to be prepared about what this means long term for you and that includes any 'food' issues that got you to 279 pounds. You may have to see a counselor to help you with any issues that crop up over time. It comes with the territory.

Best wishes tomorrow! Let us know how you are doing!!!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 236 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics