Here's my questions for people over 2 years in....

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/17 7:31 pm

Hi,

I've probably asked some of these questions before.  I need input from long term RNY'ers.  

Once I'm at target weight:

Will I ever be able to eat popcorn?

Will I ever eat food and feel normal (I'm lucky since I've never had dumping but eating is never without feeling a little weird)?

Will I ever be able to eat pasta or some sugar?

Thanks for your input!

selhard
on 2/14/17 7:49 pm, edited 2/14/17 11:49 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I am 4+ years post-op. I don't know what you'll experience, but for me the answers are an unfortunate "yes" to all of them except pasta...a little bit of pasta sits too heavy and hurts.  Sugar still makes me feel funky but not to the same degree it used to.  We are to ask ourselves three questions when choosing foods:  1.  Is it a protein?   2.  Is it a vegetable?  3.  Is it an occasional fruit?  If the answer is "no," rethink the choice.  I give myself a B for following the foodchoice rule, an A for supplement-taking, a D for exercise, and a C for effort making them all A's.

schenwhit14
on 2/14/17 8:43 pm

yes to all the questions.

Popcorn though to me hasn't tasted the same since surgery so after a handful I stop.  Normal foods yes but in moderation check carb content as well as sugar content.

Regular spaghetti pasta is too heavy after 2 bites it fills me up, so i tend to use the very small fine spaghetti pasta. I do not eat rolls or bread because tooo much. I tried to eat a bite size piece and it was horrible sat on my chest and hurt.

I usually take the serving size on the box and split it into 2 because i get full quick. with sugar i try to keep less than 5 grams.

Ladytazz
on 2/14/17 9:49 pm

You can eat whatever you want.  You still have free will.  You may get sick or gain weight from your choices but it is still your choice.

Some people have a plan that allows them to eat whatever they want only in small amounts.  Others choose to have a more restricted eating plan.  Others have a lot of problems with different foods and are limited in their choices.  

You and only you can decide what works for you.  This is a forever thing.  You can stop dieting but you can't stop being a WLS patient.

I have nearly 7 years out and my eating is still evolving.  I was very strict for the first year, a little looser but still watched every bite for the next few years and now I am still learning what works for me.  The things I liked at 1 year out have to appeal to me know.  

I have food that I choose not to have because I don't like how I feel when I have them like sugar.  I have other foods that I eat very rarely if ever because I don't do a good job of moderating them.

I must be doing something right because my weight is stable and I use my weight and my wellbeing as a guide as to how to eat.  I don't eat perfect but so far my weight has been forgiving my bad choices.  I just make better choices for myself more often than I make bad choices.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lykapal
on 2/15/17 4:05 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I love this -- I use my weight and my wellbeing as a guide as to how to eat.

I'm still just 9 months post-op, but it's how I expect to live my life. 

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Deanna798
on 2/15/17 8:32 am
RNY on 08/04/15

This is the best response I've ever seen to this type of question.

Thanks Lady!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

karenp8
on 2/15/17 6:43 am - Brighton, IL

The answers to these questions will most likely be yes but the real question is should  You? I ate popcorn and sweets and bread and pasta before. Where did I end up. Miserable and 272 pounds. I don't want to go there again so I stay away from these items now. I don't know about you but I've already proven by my starting weight that I don't do moderation well. That doesn't change with surgery I'm afraid. So at 41/2 years out I stick to lots of protein and non starchy veggies 99 percent of the time. So far so good as I got over 20 pounds under goal and have stayed there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/15/17 6:55 am, edited 2/14/17 10:56 pm

I am close to 9 years post op.  Along last few years I developed more food intolerance and sensitivities than I wish on anyone.  

There is a long list of "food not allowed" for me.  Some are on the list because it may cause immediate or delayed pain - guts spasms, others because I no longer like them. Some may cause really toxic gas and BM. 

And there are foods that may cause a severe RH.  Or cravings for more and more....

I no longer concentrate on things "I should not hsve" but rather think of ways to prepare the foods that are on my "can eat that" list. I had WLS so my life coukd be better. I try to avoid foods that make me feel not my best 

Listen to your body.  Pay attention...  Some people can tolerate bite of that or this... Without getting sick or gaining weight.  

Btw - I can eat dark chocolate and hard candies.  And  often have that I moderation... But bread - pasta - some crackers- most grains-ice cream - are on my "if you eat that you may wish for death" list... 

I often tell people- "I can eat anything I chose to, as long as I am willing to suffer the consequences..."

I had 1/2 of a small grilled cuban sandwich last night... It was NOT smart.. I paid for that later that night... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lovely_Caprice
on 2/15/17 7:06 am

I will not be touching that stuff again.  I got to 220 lbs by eating crappy stuff no its a no for me.  I did not go through RnY to eat unhealthy foods and to gain weight.  I'm thrilled with the results so I will continue what I am doing.

aesposito
on 2/15/17 8:22 am

I can eat all of those things.  I mostly choose not to, although I will admit a weakness for movie popcorn :) 

On the odd special occasion I will have something dessert-y... but with reactive hypoglycemia and a bit of IBS, I understand that I will suffer later.

I spent many thousands of dollars on this surgery and my health.  My choices need to reflect that investment.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views