Acceptable snack

Mahalo F.
on 2/20/17 7:01 am, edited 2/20/17 7:40 am

Good morning RNYers!

I am reaching out for some guidance !

I am going away for March Break in Florida with my sons.

I am looking for a dry snack for the airplane.

I found these dry Chick Peas

1/3 of a cup= 100 calories

Fat. 2.5 gm

Omega-6-1 gm

Omega-3-30.1gm

Sodium-280 gm

Potassium-140mg

Charbohydrates-18gm

Fibre-5 gm

Sugar-1gm

Protein-5 gm

Iron 8.5

When I met the dietician last week, I wanted to know how many calories are acceptable at 6 weeks out? She said not to get caught up in how many calories.

I don't have issues with my blood pressure. It tends to be on the low side since my RNY. What is acceptable sodium content? I am still looking for chick peas without sodium.

I have always wondered what are the acceptable nutrician facts when purchasing anything ie. soups, snacks

What are your thoughts?

Sandra   

Mahalo   

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/17 7:17 am

that is nice... as long as you don't get too gassy after you eat those... gas and the plane ride - don't match well for me.. I found that out the hard way... 

lower pressure on the plane, confined in a seat for a while... no way to "walk it off.. or conceal the smell... o boy.. I was sorry for my  food choices the day before....and the day I was traveling.

I try to stick to some low gassy type foods - jerky, cheese sticks etc. some protein bars have a lot of fiber and SA.. I make sure that if i pcik one or 2 for a trip they would not cause extra gas...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mahalo F.
on 2/20/17 7:48 am

Hello... Thank you for your response.

Do chick peas cause gas? 

I am already very gasy thanks to my BIPAP machine.

I am concerned about the 5 hour lay over in Mo treat.

I am hoping to find an assortment of soups at the airport.

I have found all you get is potato, noodle, bacon based choices.

I have to be careful with the cheese. It is most definitely contributing to my constipation.

Beef jerky? Not a fan before WLS... 

Sandra   

Mahalo   

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/17 8:01 am, edited 2/20/17 2:49 am

chick peas are from beans family - I can't get near them. Unless I need a weapon to get even with my BF.. lol.. little humus...lol..

I chose low sugar beef jerky, pork rinds, some nuts that do not give me gas.etc. 

When I travel= it is no longer "i don't care for this" I can't afford that luxury. I eat to make sure my BS stays stable. or don't eat. 

airport food? any grilled meat... I skip the raw veggies except a slice or 2 of tomato and pickles. Get a sandwich or 2 and eat the inside of that. 

In case of emergency - I keep individual servings of almond butter or PB and use that when I need to get some calories in me.  It may not make me full - but I know I am getting calories and fat and proteins...so things don't get crazy...

https://www.google.com/search?q=justin%27s+almond+butter+ind ividual+packets&oq=justin+individula&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l3. 9255j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hunger is no longer an emergency. Low blood sugar is... Gas is .. indigestion and pain is... I take the hunger over the feeling like my insides going to explode ... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rocky513
on 2/20/17 7:37 am - WI

Beef Jerky is an easy snack to take on a plane.  I'm not sure how it would work for you at 6 weeks out from surgery though.  You might have to spend the whole flight chewing.  LOL!

As for sodium, many of us have to increase our sodium.  Remember, we are eating better quality whole foods and we don't eat enough volume to meet most sodium requirements.  I was experiencing dizzy spells and found that my blood pressure was very low after WLS.  My surgeon told me to salt everything.  When I increased my sodium the dizzy spells stopped.  My blood pressure is still low but it has become my new normal.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 7:53 am, edited 2/19/17 11:56 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

I just packed a travel bag for my cross country driving trip.

Here's what I'm including

Several bags of Crunchamame

Several Quest bars

Travel protein packs to add to water

Beef and Chicken Jerky

Cheese crunchers from Trader Joe's - they are just chunks of cheese cooked until it is a cracker consistency.  Almost no carbs.

I'll have some yogurt and cheese sticks in a cooler (but only because my wife is bringing one for stuff she wants - so I'm adding a few things for the hotel stays, etc)

I was going to take some nuts, but decided against it.  I seem to be eating too many, so I'm cutting those out for awhile.

Oh and my old nutritionist would have approved the above list 100%.  The new one would say - under no cir****tances are we allowed to snack on anything.  She would say drink water and protein drinks.  Notice I said - here is what I packed.

Nutrition Facts for Crunchamame

Serving Size20 G Servings Per Container1 Amount Per Serving Calories90 Calories From Fat35 % Daily Value Total Fat4 G6 Saturated Fat0.5 G3 Trans Fat0 G Cholesterol0 Mg0 Sodium160 Mg7 Total Carbohydrate7 G2 Dietary Fiber3 G12 Sugars1 G Protein8 G

Insert Fitness
on 2/20/17 8:16 am

If you have a 5 hour lay over in mtl, you'll definitely find protein forward options there. Depending on what you can tolerate. There's a lot of healthy options there. If you google, you should be able to find a listing of food places, but there's a tims, a st-Hubert and a fresh food place with wraps and salads I forget the name though. Plus sushi, and lots of full restaurants.

and from mtl to Florida is about a four hour flight ish.

If you are able to tolerate nuts, I think keeping some with you in case you get delayed on the plane is good idea. 

Have fun!!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

pammieanne
on 2/20/17 8:18 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I personally wouldn't get them to eat... mostly because I'm not a huge dried chick pea fan, but also because of the carb count and the protein counts... 

I'd do beef jerky and probably some nuts because I love the combination of those two together... and I'd probably throw a bag of Quest protein chips in too... 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 10:33 am, edited 2/20/17 2:39 am
RNY on 10/26/16

Oh I forgot I threw in 4 bags of those Quest chips.  The Cheese flavored is pretty good and very few carbs.  I would have taken more for the trip, but they are so fragile that I didn't want to rely on just eating protein dust. :)

Basset reminded me that I use to travel on airplanes with protein bags - the tuna pouches.  Those saved me on many delays - can always toss it on a salad.  I forgot I brought 3 of those too to have lunch at McDonalds.  I figured that I could just get a simple salad and toss it on top.  Jeez, I'm forgetting everything.

In case you are worried I brought too much stuff with me.  I'm heading out on a 9 day trip where our host doesn't eat breakfast or lunch.  So I need my kit to last me for 9 days of mini-meals.  I'll get some yogurt and some lunch meat at the store when we arrive.

Rubydoo11917
on 2/20/17 7:48 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

Where do you get Quest chips?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?