Hair loss

Mahalo F.
on 2/25/17 2:59 pm

Hi guys,

I have a ton of thick, naturally curly hair that reaches to the small of my back.

Quite honestly... I never ever thought it would happen to me...

I wash my hair once a week and tend to run my fingers through it to untangle when I am rincing it.  I have to admit that there is some around my knuckles & on the brush after brushing it.  

Yesterday my mother in law noticed a bauld spot on my head.  I was prepared for thinning but not a bauld spot the size of a golf ball.

I am taking my Vitamins & getting all my protein in.

Have you experienced this? Does it get worse? Does it last a long time.  What have you done to help improve the hair loss.

Do you take supplements?  I am worried about absorption.

Going to GNC tomorrow in hope to finding something.

What are your thoughts.   

Sandra.  

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

catwoman7
on 2/25/17 3:18 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I lost little to no hair (not sure if the extra strands in my comb were my imagination or not), but there's unfortunately not much you can do about it.  If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.  About all you can do is keep on top of your protein and vitamins so it doesn't get any worse than it already is.  It does grow back - most people just have it for a few months tops.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 2/25/17 3:34 pm - Warren, OH

Most people do.  It starts about month 3 and ends by month 9.  Biotin wouldn't help.  It is from the surgery itself and called Telogen Effluvium. 

GNC will try to sell you biotin.  That will cause you to grow body and facial hair, won't do a thing for the hair on your head.  I grew a beard and mustache before I realized what was causing it. 

I threw the biotin away and all the facial hair went away too.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mahalo F.
on 2/25/17 5:01 pm

OMG that is crazy!

Thanks for the info...

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

rachelp
on 2/27/17 1:45 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

I totally grew a mustache from biotin hahahah! My hairloss was only for about 4 weeks.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Librarian67
on 2/26/17 4:02 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks for the info about the Biotin. I thought that it would help with preventing hair loss, but if it only causes non-head hair growth, I won't use it.

Laura in Texas
on 2/25/17 5:11 pm

I lost a lot from month 3-7. By month 9, I could see lots of regrowth. My hair is thicker now than it was pre-RNY. For most of us, it does grow back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/25/17 6:26 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I started taking WLS vitamins and biotin a few months before surgery -- so I was pretty ****y about how thick and wonderful my hair was after surgery.  

Until month 3.5.  I woke up one morning and hair was coming out in alarming amounts.  It was horrible!!  The worst part is that I had ****ily believed that I knew how to prevent it because I had taken biotin and vitamins to prevent it.  UGH.  

My shower drain had enough hair that I could have knitted a sizable muff or something.

Long story short, it lasted from 3.5 to about month 9.  I tried Nioxxin, vitamins, scalp massage, essential oils, witch doctors, prayers, stomping my feet... you get the idea.

It did stop.  My hair grew back. 

I did learn that I love Living Proof hair products -- so overpriced, but I guilted my husband into buying them for me whining about my hair so much those few months.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jenorama
on 2/25/17 10:19 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Haha!  For a while, my shower looked like I was showering with Chewbacca!  Good thing I have a bunch of hair--only my hairdresser noticed.

Jen

ambernbk8
on 2/26/17 1:43 am - saxonburg, PA
RNY on 02/20/17

I'm am so terrified of this! I was also told that taking the biotin and hair skin in nails is quite useless so I'm even more scared I won't find something to help. I had thick hair but then I had a couple surgeries on my ankles so from all that stress and sickness and medicine my hair started coming out a lot! I finally got it to start regrowing and then decided to change my life and have this surgery! Soooo I feel super doomed that my already thinning hair will cause bald spots and horrible looking hair ? my hair has always been my favorite thing about me and my most prized quality. Now I can't dye it and I'm guessing I'm going to lose it. Sry that was long. But like I said I've only heard that all you can do is do your best with protein and vitamins, and that hair supplements {biotin hair skin nails shampoos ECT} won't do much until it's starts growing back which then at that point it would be good to take to help regrowth and healthy new hair. In My situation I am not afraid to buy a wig! Different styles and look great while the hair grows. Have some fun! Good luck y'all. If you find any thing that helps even a little bit send it my way! ??

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics