8 yrs post op.... Need to lose 60 Ibs of regained weight....

Black_Beauty
on 3/24/17 9:06 pm

Wow!! I never thought I'd be back on this site 8 years after having gastric bypass surgery, and going from 286 Ibs down to 126 Ibs. I've gained 80 Ibs which is half of my lost weight. Now I'm trying to lose the regained weight and it's hard. I'm working out and lifting and trying to get a good amount of protein in. It seems harder to lose regained weight once you have this kind of surgery. I just started intermittent fasting for the last 3 weeks. I wish I was able to lose the weight on my own knowing what I know now.

Susan M.
on 3/25/17 6:09 am - Howell, MI

Regains are hard, I found you have to just get back to basics and find what works for you, I have a issue with sugar so it was hard for me to cut it out all together once I had let it back in, I started the Paleo plan the 1st of the year and have lost 10 lbs so far, it seems to be what works for me, I will have something off plan once in while like potatoes or chips but NO sugar I know that will be my trigger and send me right back up. Lots of water to keep me full and fruits and almonds are my go to treats.

I wish you luck on this, just believe in yourself you can do this you are worth it.

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

Black_Beauty
on 3/25/17 3:20 pm

Thank you Susan for your advice!

Amy R.
on 3/25/17 11:38 am, edited 3/25/17 4:40 am

We had our surgeries the same year! =)

I too have fought regain. Twice, because I'm a little slow on the uptake. Once was 40+ pounds and the last was over 50. That was in 2013. I now weigh less than my lowest pre-op weight.

There are many posts with lots of help concerning regain. You might try the search function. Also there is a group here on OH called Back on Track Together. I don't have the link but I'm sure someone will pop in with it soon.

Many of us have written long posts on how we got rid of the regain. If you want to read mine PM me and I'll give you the link. It's not a secret but I feel like I've spammed the board with it too many times so I just use the PM function now.

Bottom line for me? Protein. and more Protein. My gains were directly related to excess consumption of sugar and simple carbs. I dump severely and have RH but I could still eat a bag of caramels in 24 hours by spacing that them out two or three at a time. I honestly didn't think I was eating "that much" sugar. Until I read the calorie count on those beasts. The cheap ones by Kraft are a whopping 50 calories apiece.

Anywho - don't give up. You're not going on a diet. You're structuring the way you're going to fuel your body for the rest of your life. It's hard looking at big numbers of regain, because we think that because it will take many months to get it back off, we'll be feeling this crappy until Christmas. But that's not the case. You'll feel better and more in control with every pound lost. Soon you'll have only 70lbs to lose and then only 60, 50, 40 etc.

Things will get better and better and better. They really will.

edited to add: Here's that link: Back on Track Together Forum

Black_Beauty
on 3/25/17 3:23 pm

Amy thank you! Yes please send me the PM of your post. I just signed up yesterday and I'm not familiar with how this site works yet. It's been probably 7 yrs since I was on this site. I had a profile on here, but I don't even remember my user name on here lol.

Amy R.
on 3/26/17 1:48 pm

sent! =)

caveat: it's only what's worked for me. Of course you'll end up forging your own path.

We all know that there's no one-size-fits-all situation after WLS but these things seem to help. Good luck.

Black_Beauty
on 3/26/17 3:41 pm

Thank you Amy I will check it out later. I'm getting ready to head out to help at Youth group! Have a great evening!

CurvyCakes
on 3/26/17 4:25 am

Hi Amy. Can you PM it to me also. Would be great to have that info in my bank. I don't plan on this happening but who ever does. I'm so happy info on this site exist. It's very helpful. I'm scheduled to be revised to RNY from VSG on 4/11 due to severe GERD.

Amy R.
on 3/26/17 1:49 pm

sent! with the same caveat as above =)

Good luck!

CurvyCakes
on 3/26/17 2:23 pm

Awesome thanks so much

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views