Measuring--volume vs weight

Patty R.
on 3/28/17 4:56 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Yes, I have searched, and I'm still left without a clear answer. LOL

My plan started me out with volume measuring--those cute little plastic med. cups. 1oz/meal week 1, advancing to 4oz/meal at 4 weeks. That was liq. to puree; from week 5 on was solid/dense protein with added veg. if still hungry. (now at 4-5 oz./meal)

What method are you using, or is it a combination of both.

I read the menu thread faithfully and see many stated amounts with varied calorie and protein counts. I need to do this right, my loss is gradually slowing due to time out and being a revision.

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/28/17 5:36 am, edited 3/27/17 11:08 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Here's how I do it.

Once you are past the initial stages of liquid/mush/soft foods, you should be eating mostly solid dense protein. It is the food that will keep you satiated the longest, has the most protein, and will meet your goals most efficiently. Therefore, using a food scale should be your mainstay. I used to measure using ounces, but as I was closer to goal, I became even more meticulous, and starting measuring by grams. I keep my servings of meat around 3.5 oz/99.7 grams. Anything that is solid gets weighed. At three years out, I can eat about 5 ounces of food at a sitting, but I make sure that at least 3.5 to 4 of those ounces are dense protein.

Anything that isn't solid -- think greek yogurt, soups, chilis, liquids, sauces, drinks, dressings, etc -- is measured in volume. Cups, tsp, tablespoon, etc. -- and I also remember that these are slider foods. If you measure in a cup, it isn't dense protein --

I hope this helps you.

edited to add: Salad is a slider food for my weighing purposes.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Patty R.
on 3/28/17 6:31 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Thank you,

I've been weighing and sticking to solid protein mostly.

Now, do you weigh before or after cooking?? I searched and found answers for both??? I've been doing cooked weight. My personal theory is cooking removes fluid and fats making it a bit less in calories and more dense. When I add in veggies in, I "blanch" them, so neither raw nor cooked. Again in theory, blanched = a litter more difficult to digest, so satiety lasts longer.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/28/17 7:14 am
RNY on 12/31/13

There's a big debate on that -- keep in mind that the USDA stats and most restaurants go by PRE-cooked weight for meats.

I think it's more important to be consistent. Like you, I do cooked weight.

:-)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Patty R.
on 3/28/17 7:19 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

A big, happy exhale!! Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/17 5:55 am
RNY on 10/26/16

Both at the same time. But main is volume. I was only measuring and I got yelled at. Literally. The reason is that total pouch volume needs to not be exceeded. I was eating 3.5 oz plus a small salad. That's fine as long as it all fits in half cup. So it really is closer to 2.5 ounces and a small salad. Hope that makes sense

Patty R.
on 3/28/17 6:53 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Who yelled?? I weigh the protein, but use measuring cups for veg.

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/17 7:19 am, edited 3/28/17 12:20 am
RNY on 10/26/16

Both my NUT and even more impactful was the program coordinator. She's the chief engineer to use Star Trek parlance. I'll never see the surgeon again, unless their are surgical problems. She's the one coordinating everything pre and post surgery. She's wonderful, but man she can be mean (I say that in a loving way and I always bust on her for that). You do not want to **** her off. When they found out I was combining 3 to 4 ounces (apparently they had evidence that 4 ounces is a half cup already) and some veg - they said I was well above the limit. I told them I was weighing everything. They told me toss the scale and only use a measuring cup. Volume.. Volume.. Volume was their mantra. You can't overeat anything if it fits in the half cup. As I said 4 oz is a half cup in almost all cases by itself. So if it doesn't fit, you must not eat it. Bam, bam, bam. I thought I was going to get a concussion from the beating.

Patty R.
on 3/28/17 7:23 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Wow...different surgeons, different centers, different plans!!

Deanna798
on 3/28/17 6:05 am
RNY on 08/04/15

solids by weight, liquids by volume.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 452 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404