Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 6:32 am - Baltimore, MD

No I'm not posting that I've tried or want to try it because...no. (Not generally a fan of sparkly drinks and I saw the nutrition data on it and...no. A regular Frapp does me in!)

But my friends are all up in their feelings about this drink. I posted on Facebook that I personally don't think this drink is good for human consumption (any human consumption) and folks started replying how I was shaming them and how it needs to stop.

Ok maybe I'm stupid but...if I say cocaine isn't good for you and you shouldn't use it...that's not shaming you if you use cocaine. It's an essential fact. It's not a good thing. Such is my opinion about drinks with 70g of sugar in one hit.

S'anyway...I'm a little annoyed by that. I feel like we need to talk about these sorts of unhealthy, sugar-bomb things that companies keep offering because we are, in fact, a nation that is killing ourselves with sugar and processed food. I did not say that anyone was bad or wrong for drinking it. I didn't even talk about people who drink it. I simply said I don't think this drink is good for people.

Was I being a jerk? I probably was. But I don't care. My mom died from complications of diabetes so this is sorta my soap box issue!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Gwen M.
on 4/20/17 6:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Probably depends on exactly what you said and how you said it. There are definitely ways to say "this isn't good for human consumption" that are jerky, shaming, and judgmental ways. And there are ways that aren't.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 6:45 am - Baltimore, MD

Basically how I just said it to you is how I said it. I said I don't think this drink is really that good for anybody to drink because it has a lot of sugar. Human bodies aren't designed to take huge sugar hits without implications. Then I concluded with the fact that for those reasons I personally would not be trying it.

If that's shaming folks...um...guilty?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Gwen M.
on 4/20/17 6:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I can see how someone could feel judged and shamed. So it's good that you seem to be asking yourself, "wait, did I do something that might make people feel this way?" If you have a history of being holier than thou about food stuff, that might also add to the feelings of judgment and shame. (I'm not saying that you DO, just that past posts could also contribute to the reply to the one about Starbucks.)

And hopefully that led to useful discussion with your friends instead of just anger and argument.

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 7:20 am - Baltimore, MD

Yeah see the thing is I don't agree with you that I was shaming anybody. Like I said, is saying cocaine bad for you shaming cocaine users? No! It's a fact. That's besides the whole fact that folks know me. (And on social media they do know me...I don't friend people I don't know) so this isn't the first nor the last time I have ranted about unhealthy options that folks go crazy over. But because it's the ome *they* tried, they got kind of defensive.

But no, I don't think I judged or shamed anyone. I think folks can take it like that and at the end of the day I am not responsible for how folks take things. But I do see how folks can take it like that.

Also, I don't think I am holier than thou about food. But if we don't talk about the unhealthful options out there, if we are silent about these things companies keep mass marketing to us, exactly how are we supposed to get over this obesity epidemic? If we can't have real conversations about it? That's not being holier than thou. I admit I sometimes eat and drink crappy stuff and I'm every bit as critical of my own bad decisions as I am about everyone else's.

But if we don't talk about this stuff, it will never change.

Gwen M.
on 4/20/17 7:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Oh, please reread what I said. I didn't say that you shamed/judged people - I said that I can see how someone could feel that way. There's a huge difference!

And that if you post about food stuff often, and it's interpreted as being holier than thou/shaming/whatever by a person, then the Starbucks post might have just been what pushed them over the edge to call you on it.

Again, I'm talking about how people interpret what you're writing - I'm not attributing the intent to shame, judge, or to preach at people to you. I hope that makes sense?

"But if we don't talk about this stuff, it will never change." I totally agree with this. And it's good that if you have friends who did feel shamed/judged that they said something about it so that you could have a discussion about that. Better than them staying silent and not talking about it!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 7:28 am - Baltimore, MD

That's very true. In general I'm not afraid to rub people the wrong way (anyone who was around when I was last a regular on this very board can tell you that) but I was just sort of taken aback by folks reaction to this particular thing. Because in reality I'm very critical of the food industry for the crap it pumps out. And that's one of my soap box issues. So it's like one of those things like, "if you've never seen a post like this from me before you must have been living under a rock..." sort of thing, if that makes sense.

So of all the things I have posted/ranted about, this one thing was the straw that broke the camel's back? Methinks there are other issues at play. At the end of the day, I can only speak my truth. I'm good with folks disagreeing. I'm even good with them unfriending if they feel we can't be friends because of differences in opinion. But one thing I will not do is be accused of stuff I didn't do. I'm just not down with that!

Anyhoo...thank you for the thought provoking convo! I didn't misread your comment. (Meaning I didn't think you were implying anything beyond what you said.) I just am trying to think this out because it's one of those moments where I really wasn't seeing the logic!

AngAng
on 4/20/17 7:37 am

I wouldn't find it offensive... but I am a straight up person.

AngAng

Revision Lap Band to RNY Approved 5/10/17 Surgery Date 6/6/2017

Deanna798
on 4/20/17 6:41 am
RNY on 08/04/15

People need to chill. We all have opinions and if you think that this is a bad nutritional choice, you should be able to state that. It's not like you pointed to a particular person and told them to stop drinking liquid poison. They are putting their issues on to you. I had something similar happen to me.

Last year I shared an article about sugared soda. and how bad it is in general for everyone. A long time friend of mine got very defensive and said it was my opinion. I shot back that it wasn't really just my opinion, but also the opinion of the Medical Doctor who wrote the article. I also pointed out that the post wasn't directed at her, though she has been known to drink copious amounts of Mountain Dew daily and is MO. I had to shut it down because it was ridiculous.

People will always try to push their issues off on you. Fact is fact, and the fact that drinking 70g of sugar in a drink, is not healthy. If they think that is shaming by stating a fact, then that is on them. Your intent wasn't to shame.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 6:48 am - Baltimore, MD

In all honesty, I can't say that I wouldn't be defensive if I'd drunk it though lol.

After typing my little rant here I started to think objectively about it and, yeah, it could probably seem targeted if I felt like I didn't make the best nutritional decision.

I just wish companies would stop doing this. It's possible to make a pretty drink that looks unicorn-ish without putting a gamillion grams of sugar in it. I feel like Starbucks did it to be sensational. One friend responded that a bunch of her friends tried it and all but one said it was way too sweet or nasty, but folks are still gonna try it because it's "the thing" and it's "the thing" because it's a sugar bomb.

Sigh...I just want the world be healthier but yeah...I think I need to work on my approach lol.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 242 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?