Apple Cider Vinegar

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/22/17 3:22 pm - Baltimore, MD

So I've been doing a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in my water in the morning. I had heard there were lots of benefits. For me, it has helped my appetite a LOT. I don't have the urge to snack. The first few days were weird though. It causes a warming sensation in your stomach which goes away after a few days, but now it's a regular part of my morning routine.

Btw, I asked my doctor about doing this before I did it and he said it was fine (although he's not sure he believes in the benefits).

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

cc583
on 4/22/17 4:50 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I've been doing organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar(Bragg's brand) for about 6 yrs. I usually do about an ounce a day. I drink it straight and then a sip of water. Most people can't do that but I love vinegar!! I consume all kinds of vinegars. I have found that it helps my post nasal drip due to my allergies and it helps my appetite as well along with all of the other health benefits. I have also read that it help with the metabolism.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/22/17 4:59 pm - Baltimore, MD

I actually like it straight but I think it was messing with my "gut flora" lol (I totally just made that term up.)

I now put it in fruit infused water, which has the benefit of me drinking a good deal of water in the morning!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

cc583
on 4/22/17 6:11 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

That's great idea! Anything that helps get more water in is definitely a benefit!

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

selhard
on 4/22/17 7:23 pm, edited 4/22/17 12:30 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

What temperature do you make the water? I have been drinking a morning routine of warm water with a tablespoon each of lemon juice and coconut oil. Time for a change; thanks for the vinegar and water idea. (edited to change the word "hot" to "warm" because the word "hot" gets blocked)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/23/17 7:12 am - Baltimore, MD

I drink mine cold. I wonder if that makes any difference?

So far the only noticeable difference is my appetite and I seem to be picking up better on my fullness/satiety cues. To be fair, though, I think that has more to do with my increased water consumption since this whole thing started.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/22/17 8:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I drank a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with "mother" for 3 years every morning -- when I was in the mid 300's. I don't mind the taste, but it didn't do anything for my blood sugar, weight loss or hunger.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/23/17 7:09 am - Baltimore, MD

Ok so here's where I get wordsmithy lol.

Hunger = the body's need to eat.

Appetite = the body's desire to eat, regardless of whether it needs to eat.

So I wonder: are you saying that ACV did not reduce hunger or it did not reduce appetite?

For me it reduced appetite, which led me not to eat because, as a result of surgery, I don't really have true hunger cues anymore until I've gone way past the point of simply needing to eat!

Sorry to go to the bottom of the ocean on you but hunger vs. appetite is an important distinction. Hunger results from the need for calories to fuel the body. That is the ONLY cause of hunger. Appetite has a million and two causes and thus just one thing may not alleviate it.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/23/17 1:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I think that 99 percent of us, for 99 percent of the time, can't distinguish between the two. Even if we think we can, we're probably wrong.

Really, it's a distinction without a difference. I could no better fight head hunger than I could physical hunger.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/23/17 5:23 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

If I were completely honest, I doubt there was ever a time during my years of obesity that I was ever truly hungry. Therefore, it neither reduced my hunger nor my appetite.

You are very fortunate that you no longer have hunger. This is not the case for me.

I am often quite hungry physically, as well as still have an appetite for foods. However, unlike you, despite feeling actual hunger, I do not need the calories. Therefore, have to disregard those physical cues to maintain where I want to be.

I am envious that it is different for you! Staying at my goal weight would be so much different if that were the case for me.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views