Pain Medication

ChiefsLady66
on 4/23/17 12:42 pm

Had my surgery in 2009..I know I am not suppose to take NSAIDs or anything extended release or bigger than a M&M....my psoriatic arthritis etc has sped up bigtime and going thru pain management...they give me meds pill form...right now morphine 30mg ER every 12 hrs which doesn't work longer than 4 hrs...my pain management has put me on hydrocordone 10/35 in the past etc and frustrated that these meds aren't doing the job well...any suggestions of what I could possibly use that isn't on the no no list? Tired of hurting bigtime!

Simplyb
on 4/23/17 7:07 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

ER equals extended release. I thought that nothing stays in the stomach as long after surgery hence the lack of effect after 4 hours, maybe?

you may need a short acting, immediate release with an increased frequency? I would ask for info from surgeon and/or pharmacist

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

ChiefsLady66
on 4/23/17 7:18 pm

I know I can't use extended release,or nsaids and nothing bigger than a m&M...was on fentynal patches but they didn't like to stay on me so pain management dr changed my meds..been researching pain meds...recommends only liquid,increaded frequency or a patch..been on vicodon,allergic to demeral, can't even take meds made for fibromyalgia. I was on nuycenta which worked awesome but my humana won't cover it anymore which is frustrating to say the least. In the past was on methotrexate which worked but made my hair fall out...which fyi it also happens after weightloss surgery, especially with the roux en y I had in 2009..my husband is 46 yrs old and losing his eyesight and dying of copd...so am the only driver and trying to find something that won't make me goofy..also on flexerall which helps somewhat.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/24/17 3:30 am

Our body gets used to narcotics pain pills. The more we use - the more we need to deal with the pain.

The diet and some good quality herbal supplements can help with the inflammation - reducing the pain.

I know that some foods cause inflammation in my body and a day after I eat that - I have more swelling and more pain, that can last a few more days until my body gets rid of the stuff that caused it and inflammation gets down. But if I continue eating the "bad for me" stuff - it never goes away.

Google antiinflammatory diet, autoimmune diet, etc.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Pokemom
on 4/24/17 10:23 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I am so sorry about this! I am no expert, but just wanted to tell you to keep trying. My husband has had rheumatoid arthritis for more than 25 years. He has tried various things over the years--it does seem like he has to change things up at times.

I wonder if they could offer you--not just pain management--but also something systemic to help with the arthritis inflammation that causes the pain to begin with? My husband currently uses Enbrel. This is an injection he gives himself 3-4 times/month. It suppresses his immune system, and it has been one of the best medications he has used for his arthritis.

It is a very very expensive medicine. We could not afford it if our insurance did not help to cover it. It is so expensive that it fills up much of our deductible very quickly. However, the company that manufactures it has a copay assistance program, up to about $2500 annually, I think, to offset the cost.

I just wonder if your rheumatologist could help you by trying more things that might address the source of the inflammation, rather than just treating the pain caused by the inflammation.

Best to you. My heart goes out to you.

ChiefsLady66
on 4/24/17 2:06 pm

Honestly right now feel like screaming...the psoriatic arthritis is also in the whole outside part of my foot and even tho I bought some good shoes they don't help at all and right now cramping up. A natural resource for RA Pain etc is Tumeric..I lived 30 yrs in MI and had a good RA Dr..he had me on methotrexate which in the long run started making my hair fall out, to find out it is also a cancer drug and that is a side effect of methotrexate...also quit prednisone due to made my eyes go from 20/20 to 30/20 and don't know where they stand right now but use 2.75 reading glasses right now. Trying to get things regular down here in TN......................their referring me to a RA Dr. I luckily have medicare,medicaid and humana so no co pays and only $2.95 a prescription..

Pokemom
on 4/25/17 8:17 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Well I really hope the RA can help you. It seems like addressing the arthritis itself--and not just the pain--will help you. I hope you can find solutions for pain management until you meet with a new RA.

Gwen M.
on 4/24/17 2:24 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You say you're taking "morphine 30mg ER?" Isn't the ER extended release?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ChiefsLady66
on 4/24/17 4:10 pm

yeppers..I switched from Cigna to Humana...Humana refuses to pay for my nuycenta and said use morphine...my pain dr gave me every 12 hrs this morphine...well needless to say I am out due to needed it every 6-8 hrs....why really frustrated..so been doing a lot of research and walking in with it all on Wednesday when I see my pain management dr

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?